New install from Parallels 14/Win 10 to Parallels 17/Win 11

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MzLoretta, Feb 2, 2022.

1. MzLoretta

MzLoretta Junior Member

My old computer died. I was using High Sierra with my old Mac. Got a new Mac mini with Apple M1 Chip now running Monterey OS. I downloaded & installed Parallels 17 & it looks like I have Windows 11, but I'm not sure. The Windows desk top is my Mac Desktop. I want a Windows 11 Desktop so I can install programs, etc.
    Therefore:
    1. Do I really have Widows 11?
    2. Have a legal copy of Windows 10 ... does Windows 11 cost $$ if I have to purchse it?
    3. What is my next step?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Loretta

2. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, Please click the Start or Windows button (usually in the lower-left corner of your computer screen). Click Settings. Click About (usually in the lower left of the screen). The resulting screen shows the edition of Windows. For purchasing Windows 11 license key kindly contact with Microsoft support.

3. MzLoretta

MzLoretta Junior Member

Thanks so much for your prompt response. I need to activate Windows. Apparently, the Windows 10 license I had on my old Parallels won't fly with the new install. I'll have to buy a new copy of Windows 10 (USB) & that code will allow Windows 11 to work. Then, it's all about reinstalling Windows programs.

Fun times!!

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, please reach us out for any further queries.

5. MzLoretta

MzLoretta Junior Member

Thanks for your help. The new Windows 10 license allowed me to activate the Parallels install on my new Monterey OS mac mini. The Windows programs I use re-installed beautifully. Whew!! All is well.

6. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we are glad to hear your issue has been fixed. Please reach us back for any further queries.

7. CharlesW10

CharlesW10 Bit poster

I have a similar problem, was running Parallels on MacBook Pro (intel) with windows 10 pro licensed. Cannot upgrade it to windows 11 Pro due to processor not acceptable for the upgrade. Bought a MacBook Pro (M1) and purchased the latest version of Parallels. It installed the ARM version of Windows 11 Home. How do I use the Windows 10 Pro license to get back to possibly Windows 11 Pro or is Pro even available in ARM?

8. CharlesW10

CharlesW10 Bit poster

Just got off 3 hrs call with Microsoft and they cannot help me get a Windows 10 ARM so I can activate it using my key then do the upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. Any suggestions?

9. CharlesW10

CharlesW10 Bit poster

Same result.. they have told me I'm going to need to buy a Windows 11 Pro key. I haven't done it yet.

10. LukeD3

LukeD3 Bit poster

I called Microsoft a few weeks ago as my Windows 10 Pro license key wouldn't validate on Windows 11.

Same spiel: "You must install Windows 10 first, register it then upgrade to 11 (when you receive the option to do so) -- Windows 11 hasn't been released yet."

I explained I'm using a VM on an M1 and the guy just repeated the script. So seems my license is gone and Microsoft tech support are lazy fools.

11. MzLoretta

MzLoretta Junior Member

Hi Luke, maybe my experience will help. My Windows 10 key wouldn't register either. When my computer completely died, nothing could be done on it anymore. The Windows 10 license was in the grave, connected to my old system. I had to buy a new Windows 10 license for $139.00; MS guy said I couldn't use that code on my new setup (was buried along with Parallels). I had MS send me a USB Windows 10 instead of using a download. I entered the Windows 10 key from the box & was able to use it to upgrade to Windows 11.

I did this all through the online via MS Business Consultation (you can book same day appointments) .... took less than an hour. Here's that link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/business-consultation

Good luck!!

Loretta