Saving an older MacBook

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GregS35, Mar 15, 2022.

1. GregS35

GregS35 Bit poster

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro that is in like-new condition, but the OS is dated (maxed out at El Capitan), so I cannot install the latest browsers (and the security that comes with an up-to-date browser).

Parallels Desktop seems like the perfect workaround for this problem, so I went to the archive and downloaded Parallels 14 (which is, if I understand correctly, the latest version that still supports El Capitan). Installation went smoothly, but when it comes time to register the software, the dialogue box is just a blank.

So here's my first question: I need to upgrade my RAM, and I see OWC offers a discount coupon on Parallels Pro. Would the product activation key from that purchase work to activate the download of Parallels 14 I already have, or would the dialogue box issue prevent that?

Second question: If I can get version 14 working, will I have to pay a subscription fee year after year, and if so, will it be the same fee as for the current version?

2. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @GregS35, Yes, you can use the yearly subscription license to activate version 14 and it will not be the discounted price next year's renewal, it will be full price without the discount. Thanks, Parallels Team.

3. GregS35

GregS35 Bit poster

Thank you, I appreciate the information.

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we are glad to assist you. Please reach us back for any further queries.