Solaris 11.4 install hangs, Parallels 17

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by Baron15, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Baron15

Baron15 Bit poster

Installing Solaris 11.4 from sol-11_4-text-x86.iso using Parallels 17.1.1
    Hangs just at the beginning of the boot sequence
    upload_2022-1-6_16-17-2.png
    Any ideas for how to progress? Solaris 11 is on the supported guest OS list.

2. MichaelG9999

MichaelG9999 Bit poster

I am having the same issue. Using the 64-bit x86 Automated Installer Boot Image.

3. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Installing it from scratch I can't say, but my old 11.4 installation of Solaris works well in the Intel MacBook with Parallels 17.1.1 (2 processors, 2 giga virtual ram).

It would be great to have an ARM version of Solaris 11.4 for use in the MacBook M1 pro, where the above installation is incompatible. At least to have a way to install Solaris inside Windows 11 ARM or Linux ARM with some emulator...
    Any ideas to do it?

4. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

I'm trying now on my "old" Intel MacBook (2019) and here too (with Parallels 17.1.1) it stops after the first line...
    Also, I put back the old Solaris VM that worked on the same computer before, but now it no longer works, after the first line gives various errors (@pci0, vga_arbiter, attach_node_hierarchy...).

Please help. Help :)

PS: It would be nice to be able to have also a VM with Solaris 11.4 even on ARM (Silicon)...

5. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

it WORKED but no more (see above). Why? :-(
    Here Parallels 17.1.1 in Monterey 12.3 beta.

6. JasonR22

JasonR22 Bit poster

I am having the same issue on Parallels 17.1.1 running on macOS 12.3 (Intel).

7. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

yes, I'm having the same issues both in ARM and Intel Monterey 12.3 with Parallels 17.1.1, so the problem should be related to Parallels, isn't it?
    Hoping in a quick resolution, thanks.

8. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

sorry, no ARM version, what's a pity :(

9. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

today I installed the new version of Parallels, 17.1.2, but it doesn't solve the problem with Solaris 11.4.

10. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Is there any update for this issue?
    I'd love to get Solaris back on both macOS Intel and ARM.

Thank you

11. Markus Wenzel

Markus Wenzel Bit poster

Same issue here... I have data from Solaris in backups I really like to use without installing Parallels 16.
    Parallels Dev Team - please have a look, it is surely just a little tweak, as it worked in previous versions.

12. DavidC112

DavidC112 Bit poster

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm having the exact same issue. Parallels 18.0.2.

13. Tres Finocchiaro

Tres Finocchiaro Member

I think there was a regression at some point in Parallels. I had an instance of Solaris 10 still running from about a year ago, but after rebooting, it hangs. Similar for Solaris 11, the installation hangs after the Copyright notice with Parallels 18.