Upgrade macOS Sierra to macOS Monterey

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JeyakumarN, May 27, 2022.

1. JeyakumarN

JeyakumarN Bit poster

Hi,

I want to upgrade macOS Sierra to macOS Monterey on my MacBookPro (Mid 2015).
    Currently I have installed Parallels Desktop 15 latest on my macOS Sierra.
    I understand that Parallels Desktop 17 is not supported in Sierra.
    and Parallels Desktop 15 is not supported in Monterey.
    I have also installed Windows 10 via boot camp to directly boot in to windows for my other windows dev work.
    Please tell me what are the sequence of steps I have to follow in order to upgrade macOS Sierra to macOS Monterey with respect to Parallels Desktop versions without loosing my existing VM.

Thank you,
    Jeyakumar

2. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, for upgrading to Mac OS Monterey please follow this article. It is an Intel Mac or M1 Mac?

3. JeyakumarN

JeyakumarN Bit poster

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I can upgrade my macOS Sierra to macOS Monterey. I hope no problem in upgrading the OS.
    But my question is how my existing Parallels Desktop 15 will behave after the Monterey upgrade as I understand that Parallels Desktop 15 is not compatible with Monterey.
    So will the upgrade break my existing VM?
    Can I upgrade PD 15 to PD17 after upgrade it Monterey without break my existing VM ?
    Please guide me with respect to Parallels Desktop versions.

Thank you,
    Jeyakumar

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, first you need to upgrade the Mac OS to Monterey. Once it will be done kindly follow the steps from this KB article and upgrade to Parallels Desktop 17. You will be able to use your existing virtual machine without reinstalling it, but please take a backup of your virtual machine before you proceed with the instructions below to have an opportunity to revert all the changes.