Cannot "Shut Down" Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JoshuaM11, Jun 2, 2022.

1. JoshuaM11

JoshuaM11 Bit poster

I used to use the "Shut Down" command, as Parallels prompts and recommends over the "Stop" when exiting or discontinuing use of a virtual machine. At some point in the past few months (has been a problem under Big Sur and continues in Monterey, was a problem in Parallels 14 and continues in Parallels 15) the "Shut Down" menu command stopped working. In other words, I select "Shut Down" from the Actions menu and nothing happens. I then select "Stop" from the same menu and get a prompt from Parallels asking if I'm sure I want to do that or do "Shut Down" instead to save all my data. On the prompt screen, both "Stop" and "Shut Down" are options. The "Stop" is in blue, the "Shut Down" is grey (but selectable) and there is also a gray "Cancel". Selecting "Shut Down" here causes the prompt window to disappear as though the action selected was recognized, but nothing happens. If I select "Stop from the menu again and then disregard the options given and press "Stop" on the prompt screen, the VM stops. So there is no way to actually do what I used to, which is "Shut Down" the VM. This means all the windows and screens I had open are all gone and need to be reopened and created each time I launch Parallels. This is a pain and very annoying. What happened and how to fix this so that I can, once again, actually use the "Shut Down" command?

2. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello JoshuaM11, Please let us know are you using the Permanent license key for Parallels Desktop 14 and 15?

3. JoshuaM11

JoshuaM11 Bit poster

GampaA, yes I am.

4. JoshuaM11

JoshuaM11 Bit poster

Any thoughts on why the "stop" command is no longer working?

5. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello, Please refer to know more about how to stop the virtual machine. Thanks.

6. JoshuaM11

JoshuaM11 Bit poster

From my initial post, I don't need to know HOW to stop the machine. I need to know WHY the stop command isn't working anymore, when it did before.

7. JoshuaM11

JoshuaM11 Bit poster

Correction... why the "Shut Down" command is not working. Stop is the only thing I actually can use. But then all applications close and all work is lost.

8. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello, please provide us with the screenshots of the issue so that we can resolve the issue. Thanks.