macOS 13 Ventura VM (Intel)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Sven G, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Sven G

Sven G Member

It installs just fine (new VM); but when it gets into the setup assistant, it constantly reboots after some seconds (the time can vary: setup loads, but then crashes): perhaps some form of graphics problem...?

MatthewR20 likes this.
  2. BujinW

BujinW Bit poster

I had exactly the same problem with my 2019 MBP 15". After several hours, I am successfully into Safe Mode(press Shift while startup). Now I have the Panic Medic Boot dialog. It starts after about several minutes now.

3. aferguson

aferguson Member

The Internet (shared or otherwise) does not seem to be working. I can do a few things, but the moment there is something that uses internet access it just locks up.

4. AdamHill

AdamHill Bit poster

Ventura installed and rebooted for me. No Networking but most other Shared Services are working. About 30 minutes of reboot loop.

I did upgrade from Big Sur rather than Monterey.

5. BujinW

BujinW Bit poster

Anyone had suggestion on how to move forward? My MBP is not usable.

6. Sven G

Sven G Member

After many boot (loops), I finally managed to get (almost) through the setup assistant and thus was able to login to an account; then, I installed the Parallels Tools: they seem to work (even if going from windowed mode to full screen and viceversa is slow), but the usual graphical glitches with the Apple GPU acceleration are of course still present, as also in Monterey VMs. Anyway, one thing is certain: it's really too early to have a reliable Ventura beta VM; very interesting as an experiment, however...

7. BujinW

BujinW Bit poster

I am doing my restore Mac OS to the earlier version. It's my working computer so won't try it until it's a stable version.

8. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, could you please reproduce the issue once again and collect a tech report at the moment of reproduction as per this KB article Send us the ID of the report. Kindly elaborate on the issue you were facing after upgrading to Mac OS 13.

9. AdamHill

AdamHill Bit poster

Nope. Big Sur was just the closest stock VM I had without getting off the couch and finding the SSD upstairs ;)

10. AdamHill

AdamHill Bit poster

Further info, after about 20 minutes of poking about various things, the pointer quit registering clicks in the UI. No root cause was obvious.Was in Full Screen mode.

11. toonetown

toonetown Member

This is the point I got to. I got it installed, but then after some point in time, it would just stop responding to keyboard and mouse (UI might have been frozen as well).

12. DarrelD1

DarrelD1 Bit poster

I have found out that if in my setting, I isolate windows from Mac, I have no problems at all, I just mapped my shared folders in windows and on my Mac OS. Copy and paste from one system to another does not work which stinks, Better than the black screen.

13. Sven G

Sven G Member

The network seems to work with the Virtio adapter, in bridged mode. IMHO (YMMV), the worst "bug" - which BTW is present also in Monterey VMs - is the general instability and flickering (also with artifacts in the windows, invisible menu titles in the Menu Bar and often the same for icons in the Dock, for example) of the still experimental Parallels Metal Apple GPU support: certainly not ready for use, yet (and there seems to be no option to return to "ordinary" graphics, as it was until Catalina VMs)...

14. Sven G

Sven G Member

Sorry that it didn't work: for me, switching to the Virtio network worked, and I was able to update the VM to macOS Ventura beta 2; it might be something machine-specific, who knows: anyway, Parallels Desktop 17.1.4 isn't certainly ready for Ventura as a VM, yet...

15. WilliamS44

WilliamS44 Bit poster

Having issue with screen going black on Ventura with windows 10 running on Mac 2019 intel. Had same problem on m1 too though. Starts out working normally then the virtual screen/parallels window goes black. When I stop the machine and start it again, I can see the screen again, but then again it goes black within a minute or two.

16. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello William, please be informed that the black screen issue on macOS 13 Ventura is a known issue please refer to know about Parallels Desktop for Mac compatibility with macOS 13 Ventura. Please refer to and follow the steps to resolve the issue. Thanks.

17. JulsS

JulsS Member

I upgraded a Monterey VM to the Ventura public beta, on a MacBook Pro (intel) host using Desktop 17.1.4. The upgrade seemed to work but then got stuck at the login screen. I reset the VM but at startup I got a black screen with some random pixels at the top. Another reset seemed to fix the problem and I was able to login. Once the MacOS "optimization" completed, performance of the VM seemed reasonable. The VM cannot connect to the Internet; I am using a shared network interface. I reinstalled Parallels Tools but that did not fix the connectivity problem.

juls

18. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello, please refer to and in the Network pane, if connected to the "Shared Network" option, change it to the "Default adapter" to resolve the network issue. Thanks.

19. JulsS

JulsS Member

Switching to the Virtio adapter fixed it. Thanks!
    @Bhargava@Parallels Going back to Default adapter did not fix the problem. The Intel adapter does not work.
    juls

20. JulsS

JulsS Member

If you have trouble with a black screen and distorted mini white Apple logos at startup, try changing your video settings. That fixed the problem for me; my host is a MacBook Pro with Intel. Thanks to whoever posted this years ago when Big Sur was having problems updating.

Search for the string below in the config.pvs file (you'll need to show the package contents of your Ventura VM file) and replace <Type>2</Type> with <Type>0</Type>.

<Video NativeScalingInGuest_patch="" ApertureOnlyCapable_patch="1" VideoMemorySize_patch="1" dyn_lists="">
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Type>2</Type>
    juls