Quickbooks Desktop 2022

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Louis8, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Louis8

Louis8 Bit poster

Has anyone had any luck installing Quickbooks Desktop Pro on an M1 MBP using parallels and ARM windows 11. My 2019 Quickbooks runs fine on this setup, however, when I try to install the upgrade to QB Desktop 2022 (windows) it fails during the install. During the font installation.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Louis8

Louis8 Bit poster

Best Answer
    FWIW, i was running into the 1904 error when trying to update 2022 or even install 2023. I gave up on that VM.
    I created a new VM in Parallels and Desktop 2023 installed without a hitch. Seems be running absolutely perfect now on an m1 mac.
    I did need to turn on the windows feature XPS Document Writer (which was not checked) on the fresh install

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  3. Louis8

Louis8 Bit poster

So interestingly, this seemed to get the install to work.
    I first I installed the Quickbooks Enterprise 2022 Trial, then installed the Quickbooks Desktop 2022 software and both seems to be running fine.
    Hope this helps someone else

4. BudF

BudF Bit poster

Hello. Thank you for your post. I am in the process of trying to decide on purchasing a new MacBook with M1 chip but like you I need to run Quickbooks as an upgrade. I'm currently using QB Pro 2014 on a mid--2010 laptop with El Capitan. I know, it's way out of date. But I have been reading about the problems with installing QB 2022 with the M1. You seem to have found a work-a-round about a month ago. So I'm checking in to see if all is now working properly. I could upgrade to a 2019 Macbook with the Intel chip but I would really like to get the M1 for all the obvious reasons. Thank you in advance.

5. Louis8

Louis8 Bit poster

it's been running fine for me once i got it installed. I don't share the file or make really heavy use of all the features. I just make sure to backup after each time i use it in case something goes wrong next time. runs very fast actually, but QB for reasons they don't explain are not supporting it.

6. cafewalter

cafewalter Bit poster

I've been trying to install QB Desktop Pro Plus 2022 on an M1 Mac. Running Monterey 12.2.1 MacOS, Parallels 17.1.4, Windows 1

7. cafewalter

cafewalter Bit poster

I've been trying to install QB Desktop Pro Plus 2022 on an M1 Mac. Running Monterey 12.2.1 MacOS, Parallels 17.1.4, Windows 11 Home. So far no luck, running into this same error 1712 at the same place. The workaround of installing the QB Enterprise Trial did not help.

8. BudF

BudF Bit poster

Louis8 - I noticed your post and am curious on how you made QB 2022 work on your M1 Macbook Pro. As you can see there are many posts about people having problems with fonts and printing issues. I'm assuming you just installed Parallels, then the QB's program. How do you use QB's in general - income/expenses/reports/invoices or anything else? I would appreciate any thoughts as having this work is a big decision in purchasing the MacBook Pro with M1. I did think about getting a refurbished 2019 model with the intel chip and I guess there is also the possibility of using QBs online version - just not crazy about that Idea. Anything any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

9. FlintD

FlintD Bit poster

I've been able to get QB 2020 Pro R15 installed with Parallels v18.0.0 (53049) on a M1 Mac. It installs just fine. My setup is QB with a shared filed on a server shared using the database services by OB. My problem is stability. The files tends to crash and I'm not sure why. No corruption (that I can tell). Anyone else have any insight? I've disabled all the drive sharing options between Mac and Parallels and that seems to help. Usually when it crashed, it crashed after QB login but before loading all the home information. Thanks.

10. TJJ

TJJ Bit poster

I has similar issue with installing Quickbooks Desktop Pro 2022 on an M2 chip using parallels windows 11. any suggestions?

11. BudF

BudF Bit poster

I really am seeing mixed results for the use of Quickbook 2022 Pro via Parallels V18 with an M1 MacBook Pro. Some say it
    works - others say it crashes or has other issues. Parallels support says it all works fine - but does it really or are they just trying to sell the product. Those that use QB know that we all rely on its functioning perfectly and prefer the desktop version vs using QBs online. No font size issues or printing issues on checks - no less the program crashing. I guess my question is: does it work properly/fully or does it not? with no servers, no downloading previous files or versions to "fool" Parallels with the M1 chip. What is the answer? Need to know prior to purchasing an M1 MacBook Pro, Parallels and QB 2022 Pro. Thank you to all.

12. MarcC13

MarcC13 Bit poster

Found this thread. Thanks to everyone who's posted so far! YMMV but I got QB Pro 2023 to install and run w/ Parallels 18 on an MBP 14" M1 Max. The app did crash once when it said it had to go online to check the status of our payroll subscription, but it re-opened after that. Checked for (and got) a big batch of app updates when I selected "Update QuickBooks Desktop" from the Help dropdown menu. Rebooted to install the updates and seem to be running fine.

13. fredm4

fredm4 Bit poster

Hello,
    I ran Quickbooks enterprise 2022 on parallel 18 with no issues for almost a year. Original install was on Parallel 17 and when Parallel upgraded to 18 I still no issues at all. Quickbooks enterprise desktop upgraded to 2023 and it fails at the same point every time (error 1712). Now I cant even go back to QB Desktop 2022 I get the same error. Tried everything, New admin user, edit registry, go back and install Parallel 17, all result in the same error. The strange things is that at the point where QB install fails the majority heavy lifting of the install is done its just coping the last files to complete the installation at that point.
    Installed QB on UTM no problems but UTM is very limited and not productive for what I do.
    Any ideas or would be greatly appreciated

14. BudF

BudF Bit poster

MarcC13
    What version of Windows do you have installed on Parallels? Windows 10 or 11? Thank you.

15. DouglasP8

DouglasP8 Bit poster

The EXACT same thing happened to me. After an hour w/ QB tech, no solution. They said it is Parallels issue. This forces me to drop Parallels and go to QB online unfortunately.

16. tn_ken

tn_ken Bit poster

I just had this 1712 issue and Parallels support was most helpful. However, after trying some of the other suggestions, at their suggestion i created a NEW virtual machine with Windows 11, updated all of those components and then installed QB 2023. Everything worked! Ahhh.

17. BrianF17

BrianF17 Bit poster

Quickbooks Desktop 2023 kept giving me the 1712 issue. I reverted back to a snapshot. If anyone finds a solution, please post.

18. tn_ken

tn_ken Bit poster

It was suggested to me that I should create a new virtual machine from scratch, which I did and everything worked fine. So, something in the old machine was causing issues with this install. QB 2023 working very nicely now.

19. BrianF17

BrianF17 Bit poster

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

That would probably work but would be quite a pain to re-instal my other software. I'm going to hold out hope for a solution that doesn't require a new machine. Fingers crossed.

20. AdrianaK1

AdrianaK1 Bit poster

I get an 1904 error when I try to install quickbooks desktop 2023 on parallels. Somebody can help me please? Thanks

21. Louis8

Louis8 Bit poster

Best Answer
    FWIW, i was running into the 1904 error when trying to update 2022 or even install 2023. I gave up on that VM.
    I created a new VM in Parallels and Desktop 2023 installed without a hitch. Seems be running absolutely perfect now on an m1 mac.
    I did need to turn on the windows feature XPS Document Writer (which was not checked) on the fresh install

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.