Windows Xp on Mac M1

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ToninG, Apr 11, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ToninG

ToninG Bit poster

Hello guys,

Sorry... I know is very old OS, but i have same application
    on VB6 to maintenance and some time i need run this OS.
    There is a possibility that Parallels can make a new release
    to run Windows XP on Mac M1.

I have other Os x86 to run on M1!!! (Win 10) to run application
    on my contability.
    Otherwise I throw M1 in the rubbish bin

Thanks for reply.
    Giangy

2. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

You cannot run any Intel version of Windows - only ARM versions - and there is no ARM version of Windows XP. It's a processor issue not a Parallels issue.

3. ToninG

ToninG Bit poster

Are you sure?
    With other program is possible run XP on M1.
    But i don't wan't change Parallels

4. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I only know what I read on various forums (including this one) and no one has posted being able to run a non-ARM version of Windows on a Mac with the M1 chip regardless of what emulation software you use. You can use something like Crossover (which does run on M1 Macs) to run some Windows programs but the few that I needed/wanted have issues with Crossover as it is using Wine to emulate various versions of Windows - it is not actually allowing you to install Windows itself.

5. hin0420

hin0420 Bit poster

How can I install Win10?

6. AlexT4

AlexT4 Bit poster

I run Windows XP on my M1 Mac with UTM. It's not as high performance as Parallels, but it's free and well designed.

7. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello,
    Hello @hin0420,
    Microsoft had removed Windows 10 ARM image file from its official website. Windows 11 ARM64 is the only windows version available for M1 mac as of now.
    Kindly refer to this KB article to install Windows 11 ARM on M1.

8. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello @AlexT4, Windows XP is an old legacy Windows Operating system and it is not designed for arm64 architecture. So we would suggest you to install Windows 11 ARM on the 'M' series (M1, M2) Mac.

9. AlexT4

AlexT4 Bit poster

Yes but some of your customers had no choice but using XP, because some old apps only run on XP.
    So with new Arm architectures like M1, access to Windows XP can only be achieved with emulations like UTM.

10. JurajB1

JurajB1 Bit poster

I have just installed Windows XP on my new MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro chhipset) using UTM. It will take much longer to get it in usable form (with all legacy applications installed and tweaked) than to migrate a parallels image, specially because of learning curve of the UTM. So until I am not able to run Win XP on my new hardware and OS, I have to keep my older machines and pray, that they last long. Here is why:
    I rely on having XP, mostly because:
    - Mac OS X has an unresolved problem with old fonts. I used Windows ten years from 1991 till 2001. I created thousands of files using notation program Finale, using old and incompatible fonts even with newer versions of Finale, not talking about newer operating systems. The only way (beside the time wasting procedure to rebuild every of those thousand of files one by one) is open them on the same system running the same version of Finale to edit, print or save as pdf.
    - there are some great legacy applications, which are still very useful and run on legacy OS as Windows XP only. In my case Intonation trainer for example.

I would pay every penny to get my all tweaked and ready to use Windows XP parallels image running on my new MacBook Pro 14" and Mac OS X Monterey.