Display problem (and hibernation problem) after upgrade to v18

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HC_3, Aug 21, 2022.

1. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

Since upgrading to PD 18, the Windows VM goes to sleep after some time of non-use. And this causes display problems after "waking up".

When I resume the VM (PD icon in menu bar > Actions > Resume) there are the following problems: wild color changes in windows of the VM and on the Windows taskbar, so that the contents are partly no longer visible.

Sometimes it helps to switch out of the Coherence mode (PD icon in menu bar > Appearance > Exit Coherence) and then back into the Coherence mode.

Sometimes only a restart helps (PD icon in menu bar > Actions > Restart).

My questions:
    - Who else is experiencing this?
    - Who has a tip how I can prevent the VM from going into sleep mode?
    - Is there another way to fix the display problem from your knowledge?

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    Would you reproduce the issue once again and collect a fresh technical report at the moment of reproduction (click Parallels icon (||) > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in your reply?
    If you can make a screen recording, kindly send it to us in your reply too.

3. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

I have listed the various scenarios that have arisen in the last few days:

worked longer with a mac program (browser).
    windows-vm (by the way in coherence mode) went into pause mode (all windows grey).
    tried to click on several. result: window-salad and confused display-ads.
    after vm restart everything works again.

again worked longer with a mac program (browser).
    windows-vm (by the way in coherence mode) paused (all windows windows grayed out).
    clicked "continue".
    the vm starts to work, but is apparently frozen.

a short time later the mac restarts (by itself).
    after restarting, i also called the windows vm again. all previously opened windows appear again. it takes a while until they can be clicked, but then everything works as normal again.

Again the VM goes into pause mode.
    After clicking on the menu item "Resume" all programs are back, but they are no longer operable. nothing moves.
    Exit Coherence, then again in Coherence: No change.

OneNote can be called, but is grayed out.
    Only after restart it works again.

changed setting in virtual machine's configuration:
    Go to Options tab > Startup and Shutdown > check the Pause Windows after...
    was not checked. so checked and restarted.
    then unchecked and restarted again.
    but also had no lasting success:

pause mode again today.
    this time tried it like this: leave coherence-mode and go back to coherence-mode.
    worked!

i'm glad the workaround worked, but it can't be a permanent solution. so here are my questions:

can anyone interpret this? where could the error be and how can i turn it off?
    or is this a bug?

4. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!
    We noticed the issue in Parallels Desktop 18.0.0, and we suppose the issue is fixed in Parallels Desktop 18.0.1. Would you check, please?
    If the issue remains, kindly collect a fresh technical report at the moment of reproduction (click Parallels icon (||) > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in your reply.

HC_3 likes this.
  5. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

thanks for your tip, mikhail - after the update to v18.0.1 it has become better:

also today the windows 10 virtual machine went into "pause" mode again after some time.
    but after i clicked on "resume" it worked this time and i could continue working with the vm.
    so thanks to the parallels team for that!

but one question remains:
    why does the vm go into pause mode at all if it is NOT checked in the vm configuration (start and shutdown > pause windows)?

6. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!
    Thank you for your response.
    Kindly collect a fresh technical report at the moment of reproduction (click Parallels icon (||) > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in your reply. I need it to find out what might be the culprit.

7. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

Issue reoccured this morning after wake from sleep...

@Mikhail Ushakov 406402873 is the technical report

8. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!
    Kindly open the configuration settings of the virtual machine https://kb.parallels.com/117287 > Options tab > Startup and Shutdown > select the 'Startup and shut down manually' option.
    If the issue remains, open the same settings of the virtual machine and go to Options > Optimization > move the slider to the right. If the issue remains, kindly collect a fresh technical report right after the reproduction and send its ID in your reply.

9. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

Options tab > Startup and Shutdown > select the 'Startup and shut down manually' option.​
    Had done the above and issue had not reoccured for approx 6 days... Issue now just happened again. Have sent Tech Report 406943928
    Wil adjust the Optimization Slider once I reset the VM and see how that goes

10. Mikhail Ushakov

Thank you! Check please if adjusting the Optimization tab will be helpful.

11. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

BrettB5 likes this.
  12. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

No idea - I havent heard back from anyone @ Parallels on this... My workaround was to roll back to v17.1.4-51567 which has not skipped a beat... I've since upgraded MacOS to Ventura but dont have the time / energy to faff around with v18 when v17 is working for me...

13. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    We would recommend you upgrade to the latest build by following the below steps:
    1. Uninstall the current version of Parallels desktop from your device by: Open "Finder", go to "Applications" and right-click on "Parallels Desktop ". Select Move to Trash.
    2. Download and install the latest build of Parallels Desktop using this link: https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v18/18.1.1-53328/ParallelsDesktop-18.1.1-53328.dmg

If the issue remains, for us to further investigate the issue, kindly collect a fresh technical report at the moment of reproduction (click Parallels icon (||) > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in your reply.

Thanks

14. Katie5

Katie5 Bit poster

I have the latests and greatest parallels buid (shown in link from Pram
    I have the latest build and it still happens to me all the time. Sometimes its frozen, and sometimes its just a black screen. Either way, the only way to temporarily fix is using the reset function because even the restart wont work

15. vladimic

vladimic Bit poster

I'm facing this issue using PD18.2.0.