Legacy System extension on MacOS 13.0 Ventura install

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Don Awalt, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

I updated my Mac to MacOS 13/Ventura today, and when completed a dialog message came up saying that Parallels had a legacy system extension that would not be supported in a future version of MacOS. I hope this is being fixed!

RonaldJ1 likes this.
  2. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

EDIT: the laptop is on Apple Hypervisor, so it's not that reason for the warning.

3. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

I upgraded an Apple Silicon MacBook Pro today, and I did not get the message.

4. CatalinI

CatalinI Bit poster

I have update to Ventura MCOS13 and after that I receive a message from Parallels "Windows Cannot access\\Mac\Home\Dwonloads" and all my networks driver I dind't see

5. RonaldJ1

RonaldJ1 Bit poster

How was did solved? I still those enoying message after each update. The suggestion to remove and reinstall parallels does not work.
    Any suggestions?

6. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

They aren't there any more. I am on Parallels Pro 18.1.1, so I assume a recent update fixed it. If you download and run the utility KnockKnock, (a lot of people recommend this on the Mac macrumors.com web site), it lists what's on your system in a number of categories. On mine now, I just see 3 Kernel Extensions - EnergyDriver (which is Intel/Apple), jmPeripheralDevice (which I *think* is a printer related/HP ext, but there is little info on it that I can find), and a Dropbox kext (and they have recently updated to a native Apple app, so I suspect this will be going away soon enough. See what kexts you have on your system!

7. RonaldJ1

RonaldJ1 Bit poster

I do use the latest version of Parallels (18) but still ventura reports at start after update that there is a legacy kext on this machine. I also followed the hypervisor advise, namely select Apple in stead of parallels version. I did use KnockKnock but Parallels kext was not found. So probably some left overs in a launch script. The strange situation is that this occurs on two Apple computers.

8. Mr. C.

Mr. C. Member

I see the same warning each time there's an update. No Parallels kext's are found. I haven't found the cause of it yet.

9. jhfenton

jhfenton Junior Member

I am running Parallels Pro 18.2, and I am also still seeing the warning every time there is a system update of any kind. And I also do not have any Parallels kexts reported by KnockKnock.

10. macsrwe

macsrwe Junior Member

I also am seeing this persistently and cannot find the kext. Maybe we could get somebody from Parallels to answer this?

11. LarryL5

LarryL5 Bit poster

On macOS login (without even launching Parallels) I get the "Legacy System Extension" warning described in https://kb.parallels.com/en/124907 but I have already (several versions ago) switched system extensions from Parallels to Apple as prescribed in that article [for each VM in Parallels]. I still get the warning. Any advice?

System:
    iMac from 2020 April
    3.7 GHz 6-core Intel Core i5
    Radeon Pro 580X 8GB graphics
    64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 RAM
    macOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Parallels:
    Parallels Desktop 19 for Mac Pro Edition v19.1.1 (54734)

Andrew39 likes this.