Windows Guest on macOS 13 (Ventura) crashes within minutes.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Howyagoin, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Howyagoin

Howyagoin Junior Member

Not a lot to go on with this, but, it's 100% repeatable.
    I've submitted several crash reports, the most recent of which is 410250682.
    Linux guest VMs are running fine, but, Windows 10 simply vanishes from running and Parallels automatically wants to send a crash report.
    It may not be related, but, the crashes seem to happen when Windows 10 is logged in, and not the active/front window.
    I use Spaces a lot (I do not use Stage Manager), and all of the crashes were when I was not on the desktop with Parallels running.
    I've tried repeated reboots, doesn't seem to help.
    Release version of Ventura, and the most recent Parallels Desktop 18 for macOS.

ZoltanD and tianzef like this.
  2. Howyagoin

Howyagoin Junior Member

And it crashed again. Windows 11 seems to be still running, for the moment. Crash submitted as 410251282. Was up for about 7 minutes, max.
    In this case, I was NOT logged in to Windows 10, it still waiting for my password when it crashed.

tianzef likes this.
  3. tianzef

tianzef Bit poster

I also encountered this situation.

4. ZoltanD

ZoltanD Bit poster

The same. There was an update for Venture but it was a crash update for the Parallels. Very annoying. Was it tested before? I think, not. It is in one-minute appearing problem.

tianzef likes this.
  5. tianzef

tianzef Bit poster

Disabling the options in Configuration - Hardware - USB and Bluetooth may solve it.
    I am testing this method. seems working

gawk likes this.
  6. CameronD2

CameronD2 Bit poster

I have same problem, Updated to Venture today and Windows 10 crashes after 5 minutes.

7. Christian27

Christian27 Bit poster

Same here, the Win10 VM worked flawlessly yesterday... After updating to OS Ventura ist stops running without any crash report or blue screen... the VM just disappears

CameronD2 likes this.
  8. CameronD2

CameronD2 Bit poster

Thanks I will try this and see if Windows stays up.

ZoltanD likes this.
  9. Christian27

Christian27 Bit poster

For me this works for now... no crashes since deactivating the bluetooth passthrough

10. CameronD2

CameronD2 Bit poster

Looks like its still working.

ZoltanD likes this.
  11. Howyagoin

Howyagoin Junior Member

Can confirm this workaround works around, but, obviously isn't ideal. Hopefully The Powers That Be are working on a more complete fix.

12. ElliotD

ElliotD Junior Member

Sounds very similar to the issues found here. (https://forum.parallels.com/threads...ntly-crashes-after-update.359323/#post-911946) Unfortunately PD dropped support for 17 on MacOS 13 and above. They plan no feature/fix updates and you must upgrade to PD 18 to continue using PD on M1 Macs. There may be workarounds but they don't work for everyone. I know it sounds crazy but you can check their support page. As you can see here their final solution is for 17 users to buy 18 to fix the crash: https://kb.parallels.com/128970

Personally I have bought a PC, but I hope to draw swim attention from PD in the mean time.

13. DavidK28

DavidK28 Bit poster

I recently started having multiple Windows 11 crashes with parallels desktop 17 on my Mac-Mini M1. This only started happening within the last week. Windows crashes when running apps or just in the idle desktop. Usually happens within 5 minutes of starting Windows. I have sent multiple crash reports to Parallels Support. Very frustrating.

ElliotD likes this.
  14. ElliotD

ElliotD Junior Member

They have officially ended support of PD 17 only weeks after I bought it. I filed a fraud report with my bank and they agreed and overturned the transaction, taking the money from Parallels. 18 is set to see end of support January 2024. They way they can force you into the subscription model. Unfortunately getting a PC is the only way away from these crooks. Don't buy 18, just get a PC.

15. gawk

gawk Bit poster

Thank you very much, it seems have solved the issue for now, I almost ended up upgrading to 18!! You are awesome!!!

16. NickF2

NickF2 Junior Member

As above, this worked for me (disabling Bluetooth passthrough). Thanks so much!

17. MilesM3

MilesM3 Bit poster

Works for me too. Thankfully, I have no use for Bluetooth passthrough.

18. DavidK28

DavidK28 Bit poster

I suspect a recent V17 update created the incompatibility since I never had any problems before. I suspect this is a subtle way to "encourage" folks to upgrade to V18.

19. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    First, I want to say that our Team made no changes in the code to make Parallels Desktop 17 crash on macOS Ventura Mac computers and push our customers to switch to Parallels Desktop 18.
    As for the issue you have, Parallels Desktop 17 was designed to run on macOS Monterey and earlier versions. To run Parallels Desktop on newer macOS versions, we've created Parallels Desktop 18 (and that's basically what we do every year to support Parallels Desktop on a new macOS version). Due to the changes in the code of the new macOS versions, older Parallels Desktop versions might not run/crash or work incorrectly. I can confirm that upgrading to Parallels Desktop 18 will fix these crash issues for you.