Does Parallels desktop 18 for mac support an installation of Windows 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PeggyR, Sep 13, 2022.

1. PeggyR

PeggyR Bit poster

I'm currently 'successfully' running Parallels Desktop 17 and MAC OS Monterey Version 12.4 with a WINDOWS 7 install.

I'd like to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 18 and macOS Ventura. But don't want to do the parallels desktop 18 upgrade, until I can CONFIRM my Windows 7 will continue to operate. I do NO updates to my Windows 7 VM, so it does not use or have network connectivity. I just need stand alone, non-network access for an application. I will NOT be installing any Windows 10, 11 or 12 under parallels

Does Parallels desktop 18 for MAC support a Windows 7 VM?

Thanks

2. dclunie

dclunie Junior Member

I have the same question - this page "https://kb.parallels.com/en/129252" seems to suggest that it will still work, just that Parallel Tools won't get updated - to me this is worrying because I depend on the relatively seamless file sharing between the Mac and Windows. Perhaps it is safer just to not upgrade for now, at least until somebody answers. Or perhaps duplicate the VM, upgrade, and try it and if it fails, go back to the old installation. Not sure how to upgrade to 18 without overwriting 17, but presumably that is documented somewhere. Or perhaps this is not possible after all, per "https://forum.parallels.com/threads...-of-parallels-desktop-on-the-same-mac.349814/". So one would have to make a clone of the host OS as well, or find a way to revert.

3. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

I don't see why you can't just install both versions of Parallels. I have 16 running as far back as DOS (for kicks) and Lion. You Should be able to Simply create a folder in the Applications folder, label it 'Parallels v17', and drag your existing installation there as by default, Parallels will install do the root of the Applications folder. Now what I Don't know is how it will handle the files that are stored elsewhere in MacOS' support folders as I know they exist. It's also important to note that 'sooner than later' MacOS is pushing away from System Extensions, so v17 may not work after so many updates to the Host itself.

When it comes down to it though, you could always try the newer version, remove it if it doesn't work, and reinstall v17. I keep an archive of the installation files for myself because of these things. I think I even have v13 somewhere.

4. PeggyR

PeggyR Bit poster

5. PeggyR

PeggyR Bit poster

I am successfully running Parallels V.18 and Mac OS Pro Ventura 13.0.1 and Windows 7 Pro.