Ubuntu Server with bridged network interface not reachable outside of host laptop

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by SneakyPackets, Feb 3, 2023.

1. SneakyPackets

SneakyPackets Bit poster

Hey everyone, I am banging my head against the wall with this, I have a feeling it might be more of a Ubuntu issue than Parallels directly but figured I would see if anyone here had input.

I have an M2 Air, running the latest version of Parallels and a Ubuntu Server 22.04 Guest VM running. It has two network interfaces attached, the primary is bridged to my Mac's default adapter and the second is host-only. The VM gets an IP from my home network, can get to the Internet, my Mac can SSH into it and reach it (on the home network IP), but nothing outside of my Mac an reach the VM. I suspect it's some weird routing issue because if I initiate an SSH connection from the VM to another server on the network, that server will then be able to ping/ssh/etc. back to the VM. Routing table looks normal on the VM though, I even tried wiping it out and resetting the default route with no luck.

Any advice?

Ashley Chumun likes this.
  2. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Greetings, we have created a ticket having ID#3942898 to address your issue. Kindly check your email j**@s*************.**z and provide us with a reply.

3. JohnP60

JohnP60 Bit poster

I am having the same issue. I just migrated from my M1 Macbook Pro to my M2 Macbook Pro and updated Parallels Desktop to the current version. Now when running the Ubuntu VM, I can't connect via SSH from the host to the VM. I tried updating Parallels Tools, rebooting, restarting the SSHD service in Ubuntu. I can confirm the IP address for the interface is still the same. What else can I try?

4. SneakyPackets

SneakyPackets Bit poster

I wish I could offer some advice, no clue why but things started working for me? Not sure if it was the right sequence of updates, reboots, etc.?

5. JohnP60

JohnP60 Bit poster

Actually I did reboot the MacBook right after posting that and it resumed working as it had before. I should have tried that before posting.