Crash when trying to open Gta 5

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ali2, Sep 2, 2015.

1. ali2

ali2 Bit poster

Hello,
    I Just recently installed Gta 5 for my Parallels virtual machine and when i open it, its good for 10 seconds then the game crashes and it quits parallels and Its really frustrating because my friend has the same mac as me and he is able to play but i can't so please help me and tell me what to do thanks .

2. @ali2 could you please generate the problem report using this KB and reply us back with the report ID number.
    Also please generate the report right after the crash.

3. ali2

ali2 Bit poster

Report id:73801856

4. Hi please check this KB for more info, also the GTA 5 needs more resources.
    Please let us know if you friend uses BootCamp or VM

5. Hi please try the steps below:

1. Shut down Windows virtual machine
    2. Open the Virtual machine configurations using this KB
    3. In the Virtual machine configuration please go to the "Hardware" tab -> Boot Order -> and paste in Boot Flags box:

video.const_buffer_mode = 2

4. Start the Virtual machine and check the issue.

6. EvanW

EvanW Bit poster

I am experiencing the same problems, when the game is launched, the operating system crashes.

I have tried the boot flag as recommended before.
    my report ID: 80099279
    My computer is a late 2013 Retina Macbook pro, Running El Capitan.
    VM running Windows 10 Pro
    8GB ram
    1Gb video memory
    4 core processor
    This is a fresh installation of windows 10 with all updates preformed. ​

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello, It seems that you're on outdated build of Parallels Desktop 11, please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build 11.1.0 (32202). You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools). Please see this article to know more about Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac updates summary.

8. EvanW

EvanW Bit poster

So what your saying is the Parallels 10 can not run this game, and that I'm forced to upgrade to Parallels 11 (At a cost)? I did as you suggested and downloaded Parallels 11, after duplicating the VM (for back up). I used the 14 day trial, after all i only needed less than an hour. Parallels 11 DOES NOT WORK, inset of the VM crashing, just the game crashes, so that is something, not worth 50$ something but something. Maybe i have to wait and buy Parallels 12 and then i can get to the loading screen with out crashing. so i should probably wait until at least Parallels 14 before the game actually works, It will probably be August 2018.

What I am trying to illustrate is that upgrading to the newest one is not customer support when it costs to upgrade. Especially when it still does not work. Aside from the improvements in disk performance, and addition to Cortana. I don't understand what could have possibly changed from 10 to 11, that Parallels would not choose to Advertise that would affect gaming. (See Link below).

With out being able to look up the prevues Report ID, i am completely unaware what version he was using was different from my own.

I completely understand that running this very hardware demanding game is probably not a great idea, but i have been so impressed with this software since Parallels 8, that i would not be Surprised if it worked well to great. The main reason i was so motivated for parallels to work was to that i could run the game and the game's OS off an external SSD, as this is not possible with Boot camp, windows will not run over USB. this would allow me to hold a 85gb game external until i want to run it, unlike boot camp that i have to keep 120gb (not expandable) locked up on internal for a game that i may play months apart. if you could not guess by this point i am not a serous gamer, more into content creation, Hints why i have a mac in the first place.

since my last post here, i have been successful in playing the game with boot camp, this situation is not ideal, and would ultimately keep me from recommending any modern gaming in parallels.

https://forum.parallels.com/threads/why-should-i-upgrade-from-10-to-11.329352/

9. KatyJ

KatyJ Bit poster

I'm on Parallels 15, 2019 iMac, 40GB ram, Radeon graphics...

IT DOESN'T WORK. I've played around with all the settings trying to make it work.
    It's just unbearable..

10. JieD1

JieD1 Bit poster

Same issue here. My report ID: 421850829

11. Aydaskhan Asochakov

Aydaskhan Asochakov Staff Member

Greetings, JieD1
    Thank you for posting on Parallels Forum.

As a first step, try performing the steps below:
    1) Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).
    2) Open the Virtual Machine's Configuration (https://kb.parallels.com/117287 ) > Hardware > Boot Order > Advanced Settings > Boot flags.
    3) Delete the following text in the "Boot flags" field:
    video.const_buffer_mode = 2
    4) Save changes.
    5) Try running GTA again.
    6) Check whether it crashes or not.
    If the issue persists, click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this message.
    Note: if the issue still persists, we need a technical report without boot flag above.
    We will be waiting for your reply.
    Thank you in advance!

12. JieD1

JieD1 Bit poster

Hi there! Thanks for your reply! The original proplem was solved but now I have a new problem. GTA5 started loading successfully but it crashed every time on a bomb explosion scene during the introduction animation. Report ID: 421914823

13. JieD1

JieD1 Bit poster

I mean not just GTA5 crashed, but the whole windows VM crashed. I'm using a Macbook Pro with M1 Pro chip of 2021, 16 inches, 16GB memory.

14. Aydaskhan Asochakov

Aydaskhan Asochakov Staff Member

Dear JieD1,
    Thank you so much for the information provided.
    We've forwarded it straight to the Development Team for further investigation.
    Once there is a response from them - whether it is a request for additional information, a workaround or a permanent fix - we will let you know.
    Should you have any additional questions, let us know.
    Have a wonderful week!

15. JasonC44

JasonC44 Bit poster

I'm experiencing this issue, window shatter and then a rev sound, so only a few seconds into the intro and it crashes. I'm running a Macbook pro M1 16in, 16GB memory

16. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Hello JasonC44,

Kindly provide us with a technical report by performing the following steps:

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (click the Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this post.

Thank you.

17. JasonC44

JasonC44 Bit poster

Hello!
    I've submitted this information, the report id is: 423048771

18. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi @JasonC44 ,
    As I can see, there is the 'video.const_buffer_mode = 2' flag applied to the settings of your virtual machine. Would you remove it and check again?
    In the meantime, it'd be great to know where you've found it and why applied it to the configuration settings :)

19. JasonC44

JasonC44 Bit poster

Hey,
    I added this because I saw a suggestion earlier in this threat to add it... I'm now seeing a reply from your support saying to remove it as well. It did not help my situation, I just removed the boot setting and tried it again. Same results :(

20. JasonC44

JasonC44 Bit poster

Here's the Report Id after I removed the boot setting 423129644