Windows 11 on Apple Silicon: No \\Mac after suspend/resume

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mcgroarty, Mar 22, 2023.

Tags:
  1. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

1. Install Windows 11 on Apple Silicon with default settings
    2. Windows Desktop appears, showing the contents of my Mac desktop
    3. Click the red button in the top left to close the VM, Parallels saves off the current state
    4. In Control Center, launch the Windows VM again

Expected: Windows resumes, ready for continued use]

Actual: Windows resumes, but the desktop icons vanish, and Windows repeatedly claims that it can't access \\Mac. If I browse the network in Windows, that share no longer appears.

Has anyone got a fix or workaround, short of turning off the shared Desktop files feature?

I don't have this problem with Windows 10 or 11 on my iMac Pro (Intel).

2. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    As a possible solution, kindly follow the below steps:

1. Kindly update your Parallels Desktop to the latest build by checking for updates: click on the Parallels Desktop menu on the Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates...
    2. Reinstall Parallels Tools: in the top menu click Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools, wait for the installation to finish, restart the virtual machine.

If the issue persists, collect a technical report from this current build (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID.

To disable Shared Profile, simply open the virtual machine's configuration, go to Options > Sharing > Share Mac, and uncheck Mirror Mac and Windows user folders.
    Kindly refer to this article for more information: https://kb.parallels.com/6912

3. PaulS79

PaulS79 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. My Windows VM is 11 pro arm64. I did a suspend and resume and when open windows file explorer home never appears - just spins. If I go the the mac home folder via explorer network, it blows out immediately. I've uninstalled and reinstalled parallels tools multiple times to no avail.
    Any update on this?

4. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

Your mileage may vary, but this workaround did it for me:

The Desktop, Documents, and Downloads directories are mapped to network locations by default. e.g., //Mac/Home/Desktop, //Mac/Home/Documents, etc. (I'm doing this from memory without my MacBook Pro nearby, forgive me if that's not 100% right)

In Windows, I browsed the network and created my own mapped letter (H:) for //Mac/Home. Then, I right-clicked on each of Documents, Downloads, and Desktop, picked the "Location" tab, and I changed the location to the "H:" version. e.g., H:\Desktop. (Don't pick the option to move files.)

Everything has been reliable so far (knock on wood) with the H: versions of the share directories rather than the //Mac/Home versions.

5. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate the technical issue, kindly provide us with the following information:
    1. Detailed explanation, with all steps by steps followed, to reproduce the issue.
    2. Screenshot of error message you are receiving (if any).
    3. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thanks

6. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

No edit option, but "(H:)" above there is "( H : )" without the spaces. The forum software was trying to be helpful.