Annoying STATUS BAR!

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by MacDream, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MacDream

MacDream Bit poster

It is completely backward that Parallel 3 has eliminated the option hide/show the STATUS BAR located in the bottom of the Parallel window.
    For a MAC user like me this is annoying because of the lack of OSX interface integration.
    As a CAD user it annoys me too because it won't let me maximize the working area. Every pixel counts.

Does anybody know how to get rid of this STATUS BAR?
    Is there a work around for this detail?

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot!

2. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

I agree. I'd like the option to remove the status bar as well. I just don't look at it, so it takes up unnecessary space.

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello MacDream and Slimemold,

Thank you for the reports. The Status bar will be removed in future versions. I don't know a workaround to get rid of it now.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

Gosh, I don't know if I would remove it entirely. It may be kind of neat...looking at the disk activity icon blink is like looking at the front panel of a PC.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to show and hide it at will while the VM is running. Usually, I'd leave it hidden. But if something's taking a long time, I would show it so that I can see if my virtual disk is thrashing.

5. Edd

Edd Member

how about coherence? I'd like to see the option to throw some of those icons into the mac menu bar for exactly the reason of seeing the VM "thrashing."

6. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

That's a GREAT idea, Edd :)

7. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

Will it be an option to remove or not, because i like the statusbar a lot!

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Don't get rid of the status-bar altogether... it serves an important purpose. I guess you can add an option to remove it to appease those who do not like it, but in all honesty they probably belong in coherence or full-screen mode.

9. MacDream

MacDream Bit poster

Dears guys:

I opened this thread with these key words: "...the option hide/show the STATUS BAR"
    I'm not asking to get rid of the STATUS BAR. I'm asking to have the option back.
    What is important at this point is that Paralles needs more options for customizations.
    Different types of users=different needs=different requirements to integrate the guest OS with the host OS.
    Xenos, please clarify this point. You said "...will be removed". Maybe you meant "...will be removable". Who knows?
    This clip illustrates how it was and how I want Paralles to behave.
    Disclaimer: You will see the virtual machine before the Start Up so you won't see the status icons on the right bottom of the Status Bar, although they were there as it finished the Boot Up.
    In YouTube, for a video thumbnail (please adjust the tube size): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkFu54y_i14

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Of course I meant that we are going to restore the option affording user to hide/show the Status Bar. I am sorry for disorienting you by that inaccurate phrase. Thank you for being all there :)

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. waterson

waterson Bit poster

So...it's been about five months. Any progress here? I'd sure love to be able to hide the status bar in the "Single Window" view.

thanks,
    chris

12. MacDream

MacDream Bit poster

Yes! I have made a huge progress.

I went ahead and switch to WMWare completely.
    Now, I'm not only able to hide the status bar of the virtual machine; I can also display the virtual machine in Full-Full screen hiding the Apple Menu bar (at the top) and the Dock, automatically by using an Application called PresentYourApps.

All this because I wanted to work on AutoCAD in "Full View" to squeeze every pixel of my screen. I've gotten this by setting some automated routines, little hacks and customizacions, all within AutoCAD. Although the AutoCAD observation is off topic, I have to say that now I can run which is for me the Leitmotif of my virtual machine in full screen without using extra resources like Unity (Coherence) or Full Screen (Full Screen).

In synthesis VMWare allows me:
    To hide the status bar
    and also hide the Apple Menu Bar and the Dock

From outside or From inside

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  13. robertsj3

robertsj3 Bit poster

Any solution/workaround yet?

Still waiting...

14. far

far Junior Member

Unfortunately, the status bar on Parallels 5 now uses MORE vertical pixels. Come on, developers! Please respect my limited vertical real estate.

What's the status of the option to hide/show the status bar?

Thanks.

15. MacDream

MacDream Bit poster

[​IMG]

_____________________________________________________________________________

I don't know what they mean with "vertical pixels".
    Is it an explanation from another thread, far?

If it is like that, I can't see why, if it is possible in the top bar, it isn't
    in the status (bottom) bar?

It looks to me that the top shrinks/expands vertically!
    I don't know. Just guessing. :(

At any rate, it was done in previous versions and it should be possible in
    "Newer", "More advance", "Upgraded" versions.

Coherence is an option that I still can't afford.

Xenos, what did you say?

Still waiting (too).

16. far

far Junior Member

Nice animation of the two states of the top bar, MacDream. I always keep it at its minimum height. The challenge is with the status bar at the bottom.

By "MORE vertical pixels" I mean that the status bar is "taller" (or "thicker", or whatever) on Parallels 5. This means that now, under Parallels 5, I have even LESS vertical real estate to work on my Windows applications. I do NOT want to use Coherence or any of the "transparent" modes. I don't seem to be able to find any way to make it "slimmer" (or, even better, to make it disappear).

I have attached a screen shot of the lower-right part of the status bar:

Attached Files:

17. MacDream

MacDream Bit poster

Thank you for making clear about the vertical pixels :)

-English is my (2nd) language and I basically learnt it from people that don't use
    metaphors at all. I was caught by surprise since I hardly make myself understand
    if I don't use a, lets say, "technical" english. I also was pleased since it's very
    common to speak like that when I use my main language.-

As I read in your last post, I can tell that we are in the same boat.

I'm hopping for a definitive cure for this patient soon!

18. far

far Junior Member

As a reference for the developers, Safari has menu items ("View => Hide Status Bar" and "View => Show Status Bar") toggled by the keyboard shorcut "command /". This is, PRECISELY, the functionality that I want. I would suggest a menu item like this for Parallels (without ANY keyboard shortcut, PLEASE).

Thanks.

19. gary

gary Member

I'll add my vote. a big deal for me. I've asked before too.

20. AnnaW

AnnaW Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.