no internet connection from windows home xp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by guess2, Dec 16, 2007.

1. guess2

guess2 Member

I installed Windows Office 2007 and now I can't connect to the internet. I am showing no network conneectivity. I don't know if the install had anything to do with it. I have bounced my Mac and separately bounced my parallels.

I am using shared networking in parallels and its saying its connected.

I had network connectivity today. I have disconnected and re-connected my network connectivity through parallels.

no effect

2. guess2

guess2 Member

I dont have an IP address. I tried using hostonly connection and i still don't get a connection.

the windows network icon either says "network cable disconnected" or it shows that its connected, but I can't get to the internet and do not have an IP address.

I tried ipconfig /renew and it just hangs.

3. Diane

Diane Bit poster

I also cannot connect to the Internet from Windows XP. I was able to for 3 months and then it just stopped working. I updated to the latest build of Parallels, installed the Tools and still cannot connect at all. Can anyone help? I've followed all the steps in the FAQ and still cannot make it work.

Thanks.

4. renny5

renny5 Bit poster

happened to me: DHCP fixed it

Somehow the network settings inside XP changed from DHCP to my Mac's static IP address after the recent Parallels update and since the Mac and the PC can't use the same IP, I couldn't get internet on XP. It had looked like it was connected and getting a signal, but no internet.

Everything was fine on the Mac side in the network prefs - the Paralles guest host and NAT thingy were set to dhcp and had the 10.XXX IP, but within XP's network settings it was 130.xxxx so I just clicked the buttons in the IP Properties to make it "Obtain an IP address automatically" and got my internet connection back.

SO irritating to have it just stop working after months of being fine. But now it works. Hope this helps someone.

5. Diane

Diane Bit poster

Question

<<Everything was fine on the Mac side in the network prefs - the Paralles guest host and NAT thingy were set to dhcp and had the 10.XXX IP, but within XP's network settings it was 130.xxxx so I just clicked the buttons in the IP Properties to make it "Obtain an IP address automatically" and got my internet connection back.>>

I checked the Mac network prefs and mine also say 10.XXX IP. But then you lost me. You say within the XP's network settings it was 130.xxxx. When do I find that and which buttons in the IP Properties do you mean? Sorry, I'm PC challenged.

Actually, I went to Control Panels in Windows XP -- Network Connections -- LAN and right-clicked -- Properties, clicked ICP/IP -- Properties and checked 'Obtain an IP address automatically." Same thing...still cannot connect to the Internet.

Thanks,
    Diane

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  6. renny5

renny5 Bit poster

me too!

I'm very PC challenged when it comes to control panels and settings.

When you're in XP, in the control panels, go to network connections then Right-click on local area connection and click on Properties, then in the window that pops up, scroll down to where it says Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and then select it and click the Properties button.
    That's where the DHCP options are in XP.

I don't know PCs well enough to explain it more. So the path was:
    Control Panel
    Network Connections
    Local Area Connection - right click to get Properties
    Scroll down to Internet Protocal - click it once and then click the Properties button
    Check to see if it's set to DHCP

7. Diane

Diane Bit poster

Still doesn't work

It is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and I still cannot get Internet connection.
    Don't have a clue.

diane

8. cfaito

cfaito Bit poster

no network connectivity either

I am experiencing a similar problem with network connectivity within Windows XP Professional. I have the latest build of Parallels Desktop, and am currently in the process of updating my Mac OS X 10.4 with the latest software updates, which will bring it from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11. Networking on both sides, Windows and Mac, was working just fine up until this past Friday. Beginning Monday, I could not get network connectivity on the Windows side despite reboots, shutdowns, reconfigs, etc. Mac side is fine. Interestingly, I cannot go onto the Web, however, I am able to ping some internal IP addresses within my organization from the Windows side. Firewall is turned off on both sides. Shared networking is setup in Parallels. I am obtaining a DHCP address on the Windows side on the 10.x.x.x network, but no Web access.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting as this problem is affecting two MacBook Pros running Parallels now within my organization.

Thanks.

9. jerud

jerud Bit poster

Same thing...installed Microsoft Office and now nothing...

I looked at the TCP/IP settings and it is still set up for dhcp. This is really frustrating...

10. jlmohler

jlmohler Bit poster

Network Issues after update

I have been fighting with the same issue after the latest update. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, downgraded and upgraded my parallels install so many times that it's not funny. I have since used the VMWare Converter to move my XP install from Parallels to Fusion and the system works fine. What happened with Parallels to cause this issue? I have followed every F.A.Q. and kbase article that I can find on fixing your internet/network connection in Parallels. Nothing has helped! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as this is very frustrating!

11. mjsteelega

mjsteelega Bit poster

Me too

I am experiencing the exact same thing. If anyone from Parallels is reading this thread... we need answers to this as obvioulsy there are many of us having the same issue.

Mine worked fine last week, then today... went into Windows and no more connectivity. TCP IP is all set up properly. HELP!!! If I do resolve in the next 24 hours... going to have to dump your software and go VMWare which I hear is bullet-proof!

12. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

could you please provide me with the following information:
    1) Do you have network connection on Mac side?
    2) What type of connection is set in your VM? To check this go to Devices -> Network Adapter when the Guest OS is running. Have you ever changed the type of connection?
    3) Do you have a static or a dynamic IP?
    4) Do you have to pass authorization when connecting to Internet?
    5) Please tell me if you have Keyspan programs installed on Mac.
    6) Please describe me your antivirus protection in VM.
    7) Do you have Firewall enabled on Mac and Windows sides?
    8) Do you have VPN?

13. jlmohler

jlmohler Bit poster

Network Issues after update

1) Do you have network connection on Mac side?
    Yes.
    2) What type of connection is set in your VM? To check this go to Devices -> Network Adapter when the Guest OS is running. Have you ever changed the type of connection?
    Yes, I have tried changing between shared and bridged networking. I have also changed between the Airport and the integrated ethernet port on my MBP. Nothing has worked so far.
    3) Do you have a static or a dynamic IP?
    I am using DHCP. I have also tried to use a static IP by entering a address on my network with all of the DNS server info for my LAN.
    4) Do you have to pass authorization when connecting to Internet?
    No, I have a broadband (Road Runner) connection to the Internet.
    5) Please tell me if you have Keyspan programs installed on Mac.
    No, I do not have Keyspan installed.
    6) Please describe me your antivirus protection in VM.
    I currently have AVG installed.
    7) Do you have Firewall enabled on Mac and Windows sides?
    Yes, however I had the MAC & Microsoft firewalls enabled prior to the update to build 5584.
    8) Do you have VPN?
    No, I don't use a VPN with either the MAC or the Windows XP VM.

14. ReneS

ReneS Member

IE is my problem

Hi,

Just to let you now, my dedicated windows machine also has problems with viewing internet sites since last week. E-mail works, VPN works, pinging at google works, however viewing internet sites does not. Just used a portable firefox and that gives no problems at all........

So it could also be a Internet Explorer problem.

Rene

15. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello all,

Please, try to disable ALL Firewalls and antiviruses you have.
    If you get network connection now, change Firewalls and antiviruses settings (ask the corresponding support services).
    If the problem still persists, please, inform me.

16. jlmohler

jlmohler Bit poster

Alicia,
    I am now up and connected. It looks like after my update to build 5584 the McAfee Firewall was placed in 'Lockdown' mode. I am not sure why that would have occurred but once I set it back to 'Normal' my issue was resolved.

Thank you for your assistance.

17. Chrome262

Chrome262 Bit poster

I have a somewhat similar problem. At work i use the ethernet connection for the network, and xp runs great. I have a wireless network at work, so when i turn on airport on the mac side I lose connection on the xp side. I have tried different network connection through the menus in Parallels, default, en0 en1, and nothing. I even went though the usb connection device and connected the airport and still nothing. I am going to see if there is a firewall somewhere but I think they are all turned off, actually never turned or installed any, unless leopard did. Also maybe some networks settings in VM, has anyone else had that issue, connection good on Ethernet, and not on airport.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  18. pwigbh

pwigbh Bit poster

Airport vs Hard Ethernet

Just like Chrome262
    After much trial and error. I find that Parallels can't make a connection over a shared network connection if the mac is on it's Airport. If I plug the hard ethernet wire in, everything is fine, but try the airport card and the mac works but the Parallels 3.0 latest version as of yesterday does not. I have another Powerbook pro at home running Tiger and Parallels 2.5 latest version allowed. I'll let you know if I get the same issue.

I guess the question is: Can anyone share the network while on a Airport connection using latest Mac OS X and Parallels? (All dynamic addresses using a Belkin wirewless router.

19. Chrome262

Chrome262 Bit poster

yeah cant tell you what the work uses for wirless there are repeaters everywhere, and some are Belkin but the rest are all different. I am using bridged not shared.

20. pwigbh

pwigbh Bit poster

Bad news:
    1. MacBook 2.2Ghz Latest Leopard and Latest Parallels
    2 MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Latest Tiger 2.5 Parallels
    Both running Windows XP Home with all updates.
    No problems. Worked while connected to a wireless network using 2wire router.
    Guess I'll have to re-do Parallels and Windows XP (What a drag!!!) on the buggy install.

It sure would be nice if Parallels could make available a Windows XP Home and Pro OEM Disk. This paying more than double for Windows is for the birds. Id rather my money go to Parallels than Microsloth.