no internet connection from windows home xp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by guess2, Dec 16, 2007.

1. SamCritch

SamCritch Bit poster

Arggghhhh, I'm having problems again today as well.... :-(

I've now just set the IP address manually in Windows XP. I just added 2 to the IP address of the DHCP server ("ipconfig /all" in Command Prompt in XP), set the default gateway and DNS server to the IP address of the DHCP server. Then I disabled/enabled the network connection in the network section of Control Panel.

Sigh.....

Thanks, Sam

2. Malosa

Malosa Member

I think I'm going to give up and use CrossOver for any essential online access.

3. gladtobemac

gladtobemac Bit poster

I found this thread and thought someone here could help me. My shared networking within the XP VM works fine if I am on my airport or a wired connection. While I am out of the office I use a Verizon Wireless USB (National Access) modem. The Mac side will still connect just fine, but the XP VM will not connect. I really need to get this corrected. If anyone can help I would greatly appriciate it. Thanks

4. gladtobemac

gladtobemac Bit poster

I found this thread and thought someone here could help me. My shared networking within the XP VM works fine if I am on my airport or a wired connection. While I am out of the office I use a Verizon Wireless USB (National Access) modem. The Mac side will still connect just fine, but the XP VM will not connect. I really need to get this corrected. If anyone can help I would greatly appriciate it. Thanks

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Verizon Wireless USB shutdowns Parallels Shared interface, you need to use in this case Host-Only networking and allow it in shared interfaces

6. gladtobemac

gladtobemac Bit poster

Thank you for the reply. I tried that, but the shared and host only options are not available to me

7. John@Parallels

I mean in Virtual Machine configuration, or do you mean the same?

8. gladtobemac

gladtobemac Bit poster

I did mean the same. My config is set to bridged network, and will not allow me access to change anything

9. gladtobemac

gladtobemac Bit poster

I able to remove the network adapter and add a new one which I was able to set to host-only, but then when I start the VM I receive a red stop error that states that the VM was unable to connect to network adapter "unknown", if you proceed you will not be able to use network functions

10. John@Parallels

This is the exact case when driver shutdown our interfaces, we are aware of this problem, and I think , already contacted Verizon
    I suppose you need to try to unplug modem restart Mac, assign Host-only network to VM, and check

11. brbell01

brbell01 Bit poster

my answer would be yes, it is possible, because it has worked in the past for me. I'm running parallels 3, leopard, over an airport network. Then unexpectedly, I've lost connectivity in parallels using shared network. Ive not a clue what settings ive messed with in the last couple of weeks... but ive confirmed the xp network settings are set to automatically detect...

12. brbell01

brbell01 Bit poster

Im wondering now... can somebody tell me where is this "MacAfee antivirus lockdown mode" is? Ive read this can cause problems...

13. John@Parallels

on Mac side in MacAffee properties