Ubuntu 7.10 LiveCD

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by SamuëlM, Feb 18, 2008.

1. SamuëlM

SamuëlM Junior Member

Today I received the LiveCD from Canonical. Before I copied it from the server and burned it myself. But there seems to be no difference in installing. I selected 256 MB RAM, 5120 MB hard disc and installing from the LiveCD. I'll describe exactly what happened.

I get the first screen with the options to set the language and the screenresolution. When that is set, I select install Ubuntu. There comes a screen with the name Ubuntu and a bar with an orange block going from left to right and back, over and over again. After a few seconds, the bar becomes orange completely. When it is completely orange the screen goes black and the Ubuntu screen goes to really small size and then to bigger size, the go back to smaller size. This keeps on going. Nothing else happens.

What goes wrong? How to fix it?
    The pc: MacBook 2 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB memory. Operating system Mac OS 10.5.2 and within PD 3.0 Microsoft Windows XP Home succesfully installed.

No matter what I try, I can't get Ubuntu installed.

2. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

That is Xorg-related problem. Here is a solution.

3. SamuëlM

SamuëlM Junior Member

Unfortunately that solution doesn't work at this pc. I can do the first step, but then I get a small sized black window that doesn't do anything.

4. ndutyme

ndutyme Bit poster

Everybody keeps pointing to this fix, but it doesn't solve the issue of the booting freezing after using the 'single' option.

So you can never get to step 2. where you edit the Xorg configuration.

Anybody find out why?

5. ndutyme

ndutyme Bit poster

I found out!

You need to download and use the Ubuntu 7.10 alternate version (by using the little checkbox right before you click on download). Then everything works.

6. SamuëlM

SamuëlM Junior Member

Not here. Already tried that one out as well. No luck.

7. d.avitabile

d.avitabile Bit poster

Just installed Ubuntu 7.10 following step by step the how to linked above. It works great.

Best.

Daniele

8. SamuëlM

SamuëlM Junior Member

Why doesn't it work with me?

9. d.avitabile

d.avitabile Bit poster

Samuel, if you don't give us more informations as to what happens to you, how can we help? Have you read carefully, step by step, the instructions contained in the how-to? Where do you get stuck?

10. d.avitabile

d.avitabile Bit poster

Sorry Samuel, I hadn't read your first post. When the "oscillations" begin, you should still be able to see, intermittently, the command line. Try to click on it and type the command of step 2. It should work