Retina MBP - Parallels 8 hangs / spinning beach ball after display sleeps

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Jonathan0104, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Jonathan0104

Jonathan0104 Bit poster

After purchasing Parallels 8 and installing it on my Retina MBP I am finding that after the display goes to sleep as per the MAC OS X settings and I have a VM running I am unable to use my computer until I force the power off (holding down the power button).

When the returning to my computer after the display has turned off (note computer is not sleeping) I am faced with the the spinning beach ball and unable to enter the force quit menu. Thus requiring a hard power down. As I use virtual machines on a daily basis for my work if I attend a meeting and return I always have to power down, not ideal!!!

Jonathan

2. mercy

mercy Parallels Developers

Hello, Jonathan0104
    Thank you for the reply

Please, open your VM and go to Parallels Desktop Menu > Help > Report a Problem
    Send me a Problem Report ID

3. MBPRDU

MBPRDU Bit poster

Similar Problem

I'm having a similar problem. If I run Quicken 2012 and Windows 8 under Parallels 7 and the computer goes to sleep, Quicken becomes unstable and non-responsive. I can't quit Quicken or Parallels, and I can't even restart the Mac because Parallels intercepts the restart process. I have to force a shutdown, and then sometimes I have to recycle the laptop three times before Mac OSX (Mountain Lion) comes back. I tried upgrading to Parallels 8 but that made it even worse. It was much slower and the resolution was a mess. Windows took several minutes to start each time I rebooted. I uninstalled it and went back to Parallels 7.

Is there a known problem with Quicken 2012/Windows 8/Parallels 7/Mountain Lion and Macbook Pro Retina Display?

4. mercy

mercy Parallels Developers

MBPRDU,
    Thank you for the reply

Please, open your VM and go to Parallels Desktop Menu > Help > Report a Problem
    Send me a Problem Report ID

5. canman33

canman33 Bit poster

Parallels 8 Freezes

I am having the same issue running MAC OS 10.8.1/Parallels 8/Windows 7. Machine is a MBA 2012 13 inch. Problem happens when the screen shuts off for a couple of seconds and I immediately try to prevent it from going to screen saver mode. The spinning beach ball shows up and I can do nothing with the machine. On occasion I have been able to close the lid and let it sit for a couple of minutes, open it back up and the Mac OS allows me to log in again and everything seems to be back to normal, however on other occasions, the machine is completely non-responsive and I have to do a hard re-boot. I submitted a problem report and hope to hear back soon.

6. eberl1968

eberl1968 Bit poster

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  7. Jean-MarcD

Jean-MarcD Bit poster

Hello, i have the same issue on a 2012 Air, 8G/512 SSD. Brand new machine, with 10.8.1 running.
    Seems sleep mode related as above.

(i) Copied my VM from my 2011 Air. Upgraded to // v8. Running my Win7 VM. It works well for 1-2 hours. Then if i leave my screen and come back i have the perpetual wheel and can't get to Mac Apps either. Need to reboot.
    Thought it was my VM being corrupted, then:

(ii) Then i installed the Win8 trial edition from //'s default VM list. Did not start any of my VMs.
    Played with it for a while. Then 1-2 hours later, i get the perpetual wheel again. No choice but to reboot.

So am back on my 2011 Air.

Anything we can try?

8. BennettD

BennettD Member

Me Too :-(

I am also having this problem, it seems to be occurring since 10.8.2. It happened to me three times yesterday. It's like everything is peachy while I use the machine, but after returning to it after non-use (I don't know how long, but the screen saver is on, so at least five minutes) and the system hangs.

Here is my problem report ID: 18360227

9. Jean-MarcD

Jean-MarcD Bit poster

Solution

hi Guys,
    Here is how is stabilized this issue:

(i) Make sure your
    - Screen Saver is OFF
    - Energy Saver should be OFF on both with and without power

(ii) For the VM, go to Configure, Option, Optimization -> "Enable Adaptive Hypervisor" turn it ON.

Now on my 2012, MBAir, 8G/RAM, 512G/SSD with 10.8.2 am running ok.

Cheers, JM

10. jkm3922

jkm3922 Bit poster

I experienced similar problems to those posted by canman33. I was running Parallels 8 on an iMac under OSX 10.8.2. Email and Time Machine did not obey their schedule settings regarding checking for mail or backing up, respectively. They did their work only when commanded manually. Also, several applications (including Parallels 8) would not shut down when requested, even when "force quit" was invoked (the "blue ball" screen stayed forever). Additionally the iMac itself would not shut down when the shut down option under the Apple icon was activated. A "hard" power down was the only way to get the computer going again.
    I removed the Parallels 8 application and reinstalled Parallels 7. Everything is working ok now.