Yosemite MBP not able to wake from sleep

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pankaj sharma, Nov 19, 2014.

1. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

When I put my computer to sleep by closing the lid, if I forget to suspend the VM, my computer probably won't wake up, requiring a hard reboot.

I've messed with energy saver settings in both guest and host, and none made any difference. Parallels made me go through multiple support sessions and wasted tons of my time before finally admitting that it was a bug and that they had no fix timeline.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  2. GeneM1

GeneM1 Junior Member

Dear Parallels Support:

This other thread https://forum.parallels.com/threads/mac-hangs-after-going-to-sleep-with-parallels-open.330515/ proposes a fix/workaround for the same problem in a slightly different context ("After upgrading to Parallels 11 from 9 and to El Capitan from Maverick").
    I've seen this problem described in earlier thread as well, but I have not yet seen a clear explanation or general resolution.

Could someone at Parallels please tell your customers what Parallels is doing to address this long=standing problem.
    If no fix is forth-coming, could you at least provide a clear explanation of what is wrong, and suggest a work-around strategy that you have thought through.

As I said in the above-mentioned thread, I'd be happy to provide system logs or other diagnostic information if that would help you troubleshoot the problem.

Regards,
    Gene Miller

3. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

This issue can occur due to various reasons. Please try to uninstall Parallels Desktop, reset ACL permissions, create a new admin user on the account, reinstall Parallels from that account and check if the issue persists. If so, please reply your problem report ID as per this article so that we can assist you further.

4. GeneM1

GeneM1 Junior Member

5. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

We believe we need to have a remote session so that we can assist you accordingly. To do so, contact us in our tollfree number: +1 888-811-2489

6. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

No progress has been made on this. How do we go about getting a refund for broken software?

7. GeneM1

GeneM1 Junior Member

Parallels should simply come clean and let everyone know that they don't currently support Parallels Desktop when the host sleeps while on battery.

I am as frustrated as you are, and I think I should ask Parallels to compensate me for all the time I wasted troubleshooting on their behalf.

Since Jan 8, I had three remote sessions, sent multiple problem reports, tested different Startup and Shutdown options, reset ACL permissions, reinstalled Parallels Desktop 10 multiple times, reinstalled Parallels tools in the virtual machine, installed Trial version of Parallels Desktop 11, tested on a newly created VM linked to my existing HDD file, etc.. The problem was escalated to Tier Two that asked for further tests and logs. Their final response is "Our Developers ... are working to address [the issue] in one of the future builds of Parallels Desktop for Mac". (see below)

Note: About 2 months ago I bought Parallels Desktop 11 for my wife's Mac. Interestingly, waking from sleep works fine on her machine. The main difference between our two Macs is she's currently running Mac OS 9. But I was also running Mac OS 9 when I first noticed the wake-from-sleep problem on my Mac about 18 moths ago.

Finally, I've recently installed the trail version of VMWare Fusions 8.1.0 on my Mac and I've not experienced any problem waking from sleep. I'm doing some informal performance testing, and with it I'm finding VM startup times and application launch times are in the same ballpark as Parallels. I'm really tempted to switch to VMWare where a single license will cover both our Macs. However, my wife has just gotten used to the Parallels UI model, and I don't want to confuse her with VMWare's slightly different UI model at the present moment.

==============================
    Final Response from Parellels Tier Two Support
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Anzhelika Khapaknysh, Parallels [mailto:support@support.parallels.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:33 AM
    Subject: [Parallels #2224361] Wake up Mac from Sleep when Parallels is running
    Gene,
    Thank you so much for all provided details and logs.
    Our Developers are already aware on the issue you reported and they are working to address it in one of the future builds of Parallels Desktop for Mac.​
    ==============================

8. MichaelK26

MichaelK26 Bit poster

Looks like an old thread but relevant. Running Parallels Desktop 13 with 10.13.3.n Windows 7 upgraded from Parallels 8 from memory.
    What I have noticed. This happens when in Coherance mode. I notice after the Mac should be asleep, the screen is wakes up but when I click it goes to sleep and doesn't wake. The only way to get access is press the power button about 8 times.