Any ways to permanently lock usb devices to virtual machine?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JasonC9, Apr 11, 2018.

1. JasonC9

JasonC9 Bit poster

So I have a plug-and-forget usb device that will only work on Windows. I have the newest Parallels Desktop 13 and Windows 10 installed.
    Obviously I want the device to stick to Windows forever, however it only works as long as I don't shutdown the Mac.
    Everytime I boot the Mac on the next day, or just restart it, the device will not automatically connect back in Windows.
    To make it work I either have to manually tick it in the Parallel Desktop usb devices list, or replug the device.
    I already used the hold ALT to assign method, and confirmed that it is assigned to Windows10 in the usb configuation. I also tried re-assign it with no luck.

So my question is, is it a bug or is it designed this way? I understand that MacOS will catch the device first since it boot first, but shouldn't Parallel Desktop catch it when it started? Is there any solutions or workaround to this?

2. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

Works here Jason. Did you try to assign the USB to Windows with the VM shutdown? See screenshot below:

Attached Files:

3. JasonC9

JasonC9 Bit poster

Thanks for the reply.
    Now I managed to assign it to VM by adding every possbile items in the assignment settings, but the device still won't work unless I replug it or untick and re-tick the device.

My device is a safenet sentinel usb dongle required by a software that I use.

I did some research though, and found out the following users have the exact same issue:
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/dongle.342796/
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/sentinel-hardlock-usb-dongle-key-vs-parallels-12-1.339920/

I tried to update but it says I already have the newest.

Would it be possible that some kind of patch can be applied to fix this issue?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  4. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello JasonC9, Let us ensure that Parallels Tools are properly installed. Please follow this article to install Parallels Tools. If you see reinstall or update Parallels Tools then kindly reinstall it.