Centos 7.6 and Parallels 14?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by projector, Dec 7, 2018.

1. projector

projector Bit poster

Anyone successfully upgrade to the just-released Centos 7.6 running under Parallels 14?
    The yum update from Centos 7.5 showed some sort of DKMS issue but didn't flag it as fatal.

Logging in under the new 7.6 popped up a "siren" message about gnome-shell problems.

The screen display showed as less than full screen, with black bars on right left. Had
    to select "view all in windows in full-screen" under Parallels menu twice to get full screen.

The right-hand mouse button menu was missing most but not all listings under gnome.

Trying some menu options would suddenly result in being logged out or a hard freeze
    of the machine.

Can't tell if it is Centos 7.6 or Parallels that is the problem. It seems unlikely Centos 7.6
    would be released in such a broken state, though I do have a mail alert tool gnubiff set
    to run at start-up that behaved oddly also. Maybe that is not 7.6 ready.

It "feels" like a "Parallels Tools" issue, but can't really say. Had to revert to a back-up copy
    of the previous Centos 7.5 machine, no time right now to sort it out. If others have Centos 7.6
    running under Parallels 14.1 without issue, that might be incentive to try again.

2. projector

projector Bit poster

Of course immediately after posting THEN I find the other thread about RHEL 7.6 issues ...
    so question answered, not unique issue.

3. ErlingJ

ErlingJ Junior Member

I can confirm that Parallels 14 and CentOS 7.6 (1810) is a bad mix. All kinds of surprises. For example, right-click in the content area of a terminal window will end the whole login session abortively...

I can also confirm that Parallels 14 doesn't actually need a guest OS to behave badly. The installer removed all traces after my existing installation. I copied the app and prefs files to what I though was a safe place before launching the 14 installer, but all copies have been deleted. The whole experience has created a strong desire to look elsewhere, that is for sure.

4. EstherJ

EstherJ Bit poster

I just ran into this problem as well. In fact, I was running Parallels 13 and updated my local CentOS and all of a sudden my whole graphical environment was screwed up. I just upgraded to Parallels 14 and started a new CentOS install. Two issues: when downloading CentOS via Parallels it want to create a user named 'parallels' and I can't change it. But when I download my own CentOS iso file, I get the errors of the screwed up GNOME shell. Guess I will have to find an older version of CentOS to download.

5. SriramN

SriramN Bit poster

Had same issue with Parallels 14 and CentOS 7.6. Problem I have noticed is after logging in error pops -up saying that gnome library had some issue. To work around this problem I installed KDE desktop environment packages and started using KDE instead of gnome. Now it works like charm. No issues so far.

I adopted this approach to make this GUI error with gnome should not effect my work. So if you are in same boat, I strongly advice you to install KDE Desktop environment.
    sudo yum group install kde-desktop-environemt

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  6. EstherJ

EstherJ Bit poster

I tried to install KDE desktop but it still won't start. Looking in /var/log/Xorg.0.log I see this message:

LoadModule "prlvideo"
    Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/prlvideo_drv.so
    Module prlvideo: vendor="Parallels Inc."
    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    ABI class: Xorg Video Driver, version 23.0
    prlvideo: module ABI major version (23) doesn't match the server's version (24)
    Failed to load module "prlvideo" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
    No drivers available
    Fatal server error: no screens found (EE)

I tried to run Reinstall Parallel tools, but that doesn't do anything when you don't have a graphical interface running.

7. MauricioS

MauricioS Bit poster

I just did this, and I cannot even get past the login screen. It just goes black. I think Parallels 14 is not ready for this version of CentOS. I recently moved from VMWare fusion as I read that parallels was much better... glad I still have my vmware fusion around to re-install... this is really unacceptable.

8. RichardS24

RichardS24 Bit poster

Any update on this? It's been broken for 2 months now. I do prefer Parallels to VMWare, but being able to run CentOS 7 is a job requirement for me.

9. RichardM16

RichardM16 Bit poster

Looks like it was fixed in the latest (Feb 6th 2019) update to Parallels 14.

10. RichardS24

RichardS24 Bit poster

I can confirm, it is now fixed for me.

11. projector

projector Bit poster

Sounds like good news coming. The "Update" menu-option within Parallels Desktop 14.1.0 (45367) Mac Business Edition still says I have the latest. But I see 14.1.1 is available by direct download, though it doesn't install on my system, just displays an "installing" screen forever without doing anything.

So maybe all the right flavor recipes are still rolling out.

12. Please try to restart your Parallels Desktop app and then update it again. Let us know if it will stuck.

13. AmrithR

AmrithR Bit poster

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing this same issue after updating to Parallels Version 14.1.2 (45479). I continue to get the popup message about a problem being detected in the gnome-shell-3.28.3-6.el7 package, and the symptoms are exactly as described here as well as in https://forum.parallels.com/threads/parallels-tools-in-rhel-causes-desktop-issues.346024/

One caveat is that after updating to Parallels 14.1.2, I haven't been able to update Parallels Tools. I initiate the Parallels Tools update, but nothing happens after that. Not sure if that is required to fix this issue.