Centos 7.6 and Parallels 14?

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by projector, Dec 7, 2018 at 3:40 PM.

1. projector

projector Bit Poster

Anyone successfully upgrade to the just-released Centos 7.6 running under Parallels 14?
    The yum update from Centos 7.5 showed some sort of DKMS issue but didn't flag it as fatal.

Logging in under the new 7.6 popped up a "siren" message about gnome-shell problems.

The screen display showed as less than full screen, with black bars on right left. Had
    to select "view all in windows in full-screen" under Parallels menu twice to get full screen.

The right-hand mouse button menu was missing most but not all listings under gnome.

Trying some menu options would suddenly result in being logged out or a hard freeze
    of the machine.

Can't tell if it is Centos 7.6 or Parallels that is the problem. It seems unlikely Centos 7.6
    would be released in such a broken state, though I do have a mail alert tool gnubiff set
    to run at start-up that behaved oddly also. Maybe that is not 7.6 ready.

It "feels" like a "Parallels Tools" issue, but can't really say. Had to revert to a back-up copy
    of the previous Centos 7.5 machine, no time right now to sort it out. If others have Centos 7.6
    running under Parallels 14.1 without issue, that might be incentive to try again.

2. projector

projector Bit Poster

Of course immediately after posting THEN I find the other thread about RHEL 7.6 issues ...
    so question answered, not unique issue.

3. ErlingJ

ErlingJ Bit Poster

I can confirm that Parallels 14 and CentOS 7.6 (1810) is a bad mix. All kinds of surprises. For example, right-click in the content area of a terminal window will end the whole login session abortively...

I can also confirm that Parallels 14 doesn't actually need a guest OS to behave badly. The installer removed all traces after my existing installation. I copied the app and prefs files to what I though was a safe place before launching the 14 installer, but all copies have been deleted. The whole experience has created a strong desire to look elsewhere, that is for sure.