Guest macos not able to resume from paused

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by KoreyK, Nov 26, 2018.

1. KoreyK

KoreyK Bit poster

Since moving to parallels 14 and mojave host, I am not able to resume my guest macos vm (high sierra or mojave). It will start to resume, show a black screen with a mouse cursor for a second, and then pause again. I have to force stop the vm and restart it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello KoreyK, Kindly start the virtual machine and go to the top menu bar, click on Actions--> Take snapshot. once the snapshot is done then again click on Actions--> Reset and then check with the Windows virtual machine.

3. KoreyK

KoreyK Bit poster

its not a windows virtual machine, but a high sierra vm. i will try that though.

4. KoreyK

KoreyK Bit poster

It did not help. The guest vm still will not recover and gets stuck unpausing.

5. KoreyK

KoreyK Bit poster

It seems to happen only when it automatically pauses when the host goes to sleep.

6. KoreyK

KoreyK Bit poster

7. MatthewB16

MatthewB16 Bit poster

This is also occurring for me. Mojave guest Mojave host

8. cdubois

cdubois Junior Member

The unable to resume a paused macOS VM issue is occurring for me with both my host OS and VM running macOS 10.14.2. It certainly seems like a Parallels bug continuing into Parallels 14.1.0. For now, I'll try disabling sleep in the VM, as others suggested.

9. cdubois

cdubois Junior Member

Any updates on this? You did not read the issue correctly, as this is a macOS VM problem.

Also, I don't seem to be able to tag Parallels people in forum posts with short names, as the Name@Parallels formatting breaks @Name tagging completion.

10. BrianD12

BrianD12 Bit poster

This is happening to me on a guest OS X VM also. Anytime the VM pauses on its own, it is impossible to resume. Manually suspending and resuming is fine. The only way to get out of the pause mode is to force reset the VM which of course loses all work in progress. Please let me know if there is some way to avoid this.

Thanks

11. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You have to change sleep settings in System Preference of the macOS X VM to disable Auto Pause.

12. GlennN1

GlennN1 Bit poster

I still have this issue with v14.1.3 and host 10.13.6 and guest 10.14.4. It seems to happen after Parallels Tools have been installed. A fix would be nice since this bug is around since at least Nov, 2018. Thanks

13. AndrewM14

AndrewM14 Bit poster

I have the same issue - April 2019. Same guest Parallels version, host and guest as above. Cannot get the VM to resume ... states it is resuming, then blank screen, then paused.

14. JasonJ4

JasonJ4 Bit poster

Same issue - May 2019. v14.1.3, Guest 10.14.5 and host 10.14.4.

15. Did you try to reset or restart or stop your VM?

16. JasonJ4

JasonJ4 Bit poster

happens on two separate VM's (Same specs). One existing and one newly created, both have same results. Happens after a stop, that's the only way to get back into the VM, stop it and start it and keep it alive until I do something else and it goes to sleep and I cant get back into it. Not sure what you mean by reset the VM, but I have restarted the macbook and same thing happens.

17. Please generate the problem report right after the issue reoccurs and reply us back with the report ID.

18. JasonJ4

JasonJ4 Bit poster

19. Thanks a lot for the provided info. We've escalated this issue to the Parallels Engineering team and once we get any updates, we will contact you.

20. DasertK

DasertK Bit poster

I look forward to your reply.