Windows 10, no sound, no Parallels Virtual Audio Adapter Visible

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Suhat, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Suhat

Suhat Bit poster

Hi,
    I have Parallels for M1 chipsets. VM is working just fine but I have no sound on VM. I have tried reinstalling Parallels Tools but did not workout. I searched the forum and I suppose I should be seeing Parallels Virtual Audio Adapter under Settings>Sound>Input and Output tabs. However I only have Macbook Pro Speakers and Microphone under those. Also, when I open device manager and check Sound,Video and Game Controllers Tab I see High Definition Audio Device instead of parallels audio controller. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. AndyD7

AndyD7 Bit poster

I see 'High Definition Audio Device' instead of 'Parallels Audio Controller' too, and I'm experiencing disruptive crackling when playing audio. I found this thread https://forum.parallels.com/threads/crackling-sounds.341232/ which explains how to update the driver to the Parallels Audio Controller, but the advice from Shathish@Parallels didn't work for me. There was no Parallels Audio Controller in the list, only the High Definition Audio driver. Also the entries, 'UpperFilters' and 'KS' in the Registry Editor were not there either.

I followed the advice from the mentioned blog post http://glimpseoftheobvious.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-fix-annoying-popping-audio-with.html but this didn't fix the audio crackling issue. Does anyone know how we can install the Parallels Audio Controller?

3. MeaghanH

MeaghanH Bit poster

I had the same issue- I had accidentally hit "deny" when asked to allow Parallels to have access to accessibility during the installation update. My fix was to go on Mac to System Preferences>Security&Privacy>Full Disc Access> "+" and search for the parallels desktop app.
    Once that permission is locked, I reopened Parallels, reinstalled Parallels Tools (Actions>Reinstall Parallels Tools) and then restarted the virtual machine. After that, sound fixed!

NathanC6 likes this.
  4. JoshuaL9

JoshuaL9 Bit poster

Meaghan H! You are a life saver! I did exactly what you wrote step by step and Brava! Sound! Thank you thank you thank you!

5. FinlayW

FinlayW Bit poster

I have the same problem. My Parallels has full disk access, however I still need to reinstall Tools every time I open Windows.

6. ChrisR20

ChrisR20 Bit poster

Hi, I found a fix for my setup (macOS 10.15.7, Parallels Desktop 16.5.0 for Mac, VM: Win10, 20H2, 19042.928):
    • giving the Parallels desktop App full disk access under macOS security settings (not sure if that is really needed, anyhow THANKS to Meaghan! :D )
    • in the advanced Sound & Camera settings of the VM I chose "AC'97" and then the "Parallels Audio Controller" did show up under the windows devices
    Hope this is useful for you -- oh and I use a thunderbolt 3 hardware audio device with the VM.
    .C

7. FinlayW

FinlayW Bit poster

8. FinlayW

FinlayW Bit poster

Thank you for this . I did as you suggested and got Parallels Audio Controller showing up. However it only works if I troubleshoot and windows offers to reinstall the driver. Then it only works for that a session. Each session I have to go through the sam troubleshoot//reinstall palaver. only using speakers or headphones connected to audio port on iMac.

9. FinlayW

FinlayW Bit poster

Latest update: sound now works if I reboot Windows. That's it. I start Windows get no sound and reboot - sound starts.

10. NormanB1

NormanB1 Junior Member

I have this on my Macbook in Windows 10. If I uninstall the Parallels Sound Driver and reboot then as it boots up I can change the sound volume level and hear sound. When it finishes booting I lose the sound again. I must have reinstalled the river by this point.

11. FinlayW

FinlayW Bit poster

I've now found that the sound works if I reboot immediately after having booted for the first time. ;)

12. NormanB1

NormanB1 Junior Member

In addition to my 2018 Macbook with this problem I now discover that my 2013 Macbook Pro has also got the same issue. The Pro worked fine before so I have to assume that there is something in Windows 10 20H2 that conflicts somewhere. Again if you remove the Sound device and reboot Windows then you get sound before the boot process is complete. It then cuts off. It's almost as though it uses a default Microsoft Driver to start with and then loads the Parallels one, then promptly cuts the sound.

13. StuartA6

StuartA6 Bit poster

Hi - is this resolved? I'm still having to restart Windows multiple times per day. Particularly when using Microsoft Teams - I get an error saying Teams cannot hear you. I then restart Windows and it's resolved. This is fine until I receive an unplanned call and I have to end the call, restart and call back - which is obviously not a long term solution. In Device Manager, I do not see "Parallels Audio Controller", I only see "High Definition Audio Device" - is this the issue? All software is up to date (Mac OS, Windows, Teams, Parallels Tools). I've also re-installed Parallels Tools as previously recommended. I've also ensured the Sound and Camera and Disk Access settings for the VM are all in order. I urgently need a solution. Please assist. I have emailed Parallels and am yet to receive a response.

14. FinlayW

FinlayW Bit poster

Not resolved for me. I bought the recent update but it made no difference. like you, still having to reboot Windows VM to get sound.

15. FinlayW

FinlayW Bit poster

OK. Installed Parallels Toolbox for Windows from the Windows 10 menu bar. Went to the Toolbox menu bar and clicked on sound. Chose "Built-in output". It worked. So I shut Windows down completely, restarted it - and it's working. I hope this helps.

16. NathanC6

NathanC6 Bit poster

This solved my problem on Macbook Pro 2019 (Intel) - audio would play fine on OSX until Parallels started and then audio would die across both OSX and Parallels. Thought for sure I approved all changes during the last upgrade a week or so ago but....guess not. Thanks very much!

17. StuartA6

StuartA6 Bit poster

@Maria@Parallels please can you respond. Tried all suggestions without success. Still get the error message "Teams can't hear you" until I restart Windows. Need a solution ASAP.

18. Hi, could you provide us with the technical report please?
    Please collect it once the issue reproduced.

19. StuartA6

StuartA6 Bit poster

@Maria@Parallels technical report is 378089886

20. PozziB

PozziB Bit poster

yeah, still unsolved and people restart windows a few times per day