0xc000021a upon a windows 10 update

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TimC1, Dec 25, 2015.

1. TimC1

TimC1 Bit poster

A couple of things:

I recently allowed a windows 10 update to go through.. foolishly not reviewing the extent of the update so I have no details on what it was for.. in any case, the update is causing the endless "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" screen and it doesn't matter which option I do, nothing seems to remedy the situation.. there is a mention on the this screen to look up error code 0xc000021a.. i assume someone must have run into this problem before through the parallels portal and might have some suggestions..

Secondly, in OS El Capitain, on the desktop, I used to have access to the windows bootcamp drive (before this update and error).. now I don't have access to the drive... Is it possible the update changed the drive name?? In any case, I have 1 important file I'd like to retrieve from that partition.. any ideas as to how I would access it?

Many thanks in advance.
    Tim

2. TimC1

TimC1 Bit poster

UPDATE:

ok so i shut down parallels completely and now have access to the drive again to retrieve my files..

I noticed however that there is a window folder and a window.old folder.. I wonder if I were to rename the windows folder to windows.bak and rename the windows.old to just windows.. thus hopefully bypassing the update.. stay tuned..

3. TimC1

TimC1 Bit poster

UPDATE:

During the upgrade process, I received the pop-up message from parallels: Mac OS X has prevented the guest operating system from changing the boot loader on your physical hard disk

I clicked ok to accept the message.. really had no other choice.. in any case, when the updated required a re-boot, the whole problem started..

also noticed that the system looks like is trying to boot from a drive x:\windows.. instead of the c: that was assign "bootcamp".. can the folks at parallels shed some light on this matter, please?

Thanks.
    Tim

4. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Tim.
    If I understand the issue correctly, you are using Windows on Boot Camp and trying to upgrade it to Windows 10 from the virtual machine.
    Please log in to Windows from Boot Camp directly and try to upgrade to Windows 10 and check if the issue still persisting, if you are able to upgrade to Windows 10 from Boot Camp, you can create a virtual machine on Parallels Desktop and use it. If the issue still persisting, please provide us the steps to reproduce the issue (1,2,3...). Also, once you reproduce the issue, please provide us a problem report ID here: http://kb.parallels.com/9058

5. TimC1

TimC1 Bit poster

Hi Ram, thank for your reply.

I had already upgraded to windows 10 several months ago.. This was a windows 10 update of some sort that I allowed go through.. I have allowed many windows 10 updates since I upgraded it through parallels many months ago..

In any case, I did try to log into boot camp in an attempt to recover the situation but the same error keeps coming up.. only on the initial update through parallels did I see said message above.. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
    Tim