10.5.2 / XP no network connectivity

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by adriantoll, Feb 22, 2008.

1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Bit poster

I have just discovered that the upgrade had set the LAN proxy settings to 10.8.59.59 and Port 8080. Unticking this, gives me my original connection back!

2. viaheli

viaheli Bit poster

I'm glad you found a resolution. My pseudo-USB stuff (mouse, trackpad, etc.) were wrecked so I could not communicate with my notebook at all. In the end, I visited the Apple Store in Manhattan Beach, CA and we ultimately and jointly decided that my best bet was to use Boot Camp Assistant to wipe the partition clean. I had no valuable data to lose...just applications - bummer. Anyway, I'm ready with VMWare Fusion as soon as I load Windows XP SP2 onto my BC partition. Funny thing is that once I stopped in Apple, I was told that Fusion beats Parallels hands-down for speed and ease of use. I'd also been told by some co-workers to stop by and ask the Apple folks questions such as these before I chose to make such a decision as loading an application of this complexity. Turns out they were correct. Oh well...measure twice and cut once is still a valuable phrase to remember.

3. Kayray

Kayray Bit poster

Same problem but 10.4.11

I am running 10.4.11 and Parallels 3.0 all was fine till I installed an update for itunes and security update and now I have no internet connectivity. Any advice will be appreciated. K-

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

AnthonyG, thank you for the feedback.

Viaheli, Boot Camp issues are not related to network connectivity problems discussed here. You can have a look at this article if you would like to know more about Parallels - Boot Camp interaction.

Kayray, did you try to disable your antivirus software to check if you get network connection after this? If this will help, you should ask the antivirus software tech support.

If this will not help, please provide more information for analysis (see my previous post).

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. fuel007one

fuel007one Bit poster

Same Problem: No Connectivity thru IE

ifconfig output:

Last login: Fri Mar 21 11:45:00 on console
    Macintosh-4:~ Dale$ ifconfig
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:1b:63:9d:8d:ee
    media: autoselect status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
    fw0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
    lladdr 00:1c:b3:ff:fe:a0:ae:8a
    media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::21c:b3ff:febe:780f%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
    inet 192.168.1.104 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    ether 00:1c:b3:be:78:0f
    media: autoselect status: active
    supported media: autoselect
    en3: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:1%en3 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
    inet 10.211.55.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
    ether 00:1c:42:00:00:01
    en2: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:0%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
    inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
    ether 00:1c:42:00:00:00
    Macintosh-4:~ Dale$

6. fuel007one

fuel007one Bit poster

Help anyone?

7. ajharris1970

ajharris1970 Bit poster

Same here

Had the exact same problem.

So far the only fix I've found is to switch to bridged networking and hard-code the IP address in the Windows OS.

After I did that things have been a bit more stable

8. fuel007one

fuel007one Bit poster

I seemed to have fixed this by using Xenos' method described in another post (THANKS Xenos!!!) as follows:

"You can try the following:

1. Open Mac System Preferences -> Network -> Parallels NAT;
    2. In Configure IPv4 field choose "Off" and click "Apply";
    3. Do the same for Host-Guest adapter;
    4. Shut down the Virtual Machine;
    5. Reboot the Mac and switch DHCP back on for both Parallels network adapters;
    6. Restart Parallels.

Best regards,
    Xenos"

9. viaheli

viaheli Bit poster

Quick Fix

I found the best fix of all was to install Vmware's Fusion. I installed it on Wednesday, waited until Thursday to repartition my Boot Camp portion of my disk, clean up all the Parallels left-overs and, once returned from my business trip and caught up on my sleep, ran Fusion, installed the Fusion Tools and within 10 minutes I had a pristine load and fully functional partition to run XP natively or access cleanly via Fusion. With relief, there was none of the aforementioned laborious work-arounds required and my oh my how slick it runs with no hassles.

10. MattD

MattD Bit poster

Tried some of the tests above and did not seem to work, however I disabled
    System Preferences -> Network -> Parallels NAT
    and
    System Preferences -> Network -> Host-Guest adapter
    Rebooted and started Parallels.

These are not running yet the VM Guest is getting network access.
    Not sure how, but happy it is now working. Will tinker tomorrow, right now finish work

11. nymarty

nymarty Bit poster

Hate to say it...

but running Fusion fixed all my connectivity issues. Here's what I was experiencing...

-- when not running Parallels had no wireless connectivity issues at all
    -- when running Parallels, would sometimes lose internet connection in parallels and in Mac-native and would have to turn Airport off and on to get connection again
    -- when running Citrix on Parallels, which I have to do all the time for work (and the reason I even run PC on Mac), Citrix would freeze up every few minutes and I'd lose all connections to the internet, requiring me to restart Citrix constantly

I tried most of the fixes (and many hours of time) here on the boards but was getting beyond frustrated that nothing really worked. Last night I installed the trial version of Fusion and imported my Parallels VM. I've had no (zero) problems with any of the above issues since. I've been using Parallels for over 2 years and a paying customer. Unless the connectivity issues get fixed, I can't see coming back to it.

12. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

lost shared networking with 10.5.2/XP PRO

Okay, like several others, I lost shared networking connectivity after applying 10.5.2. OSX updates. I could change Parallels to use the airport ethernet connection and that would work just fine, but on occasion, I use a Verizon AirCard on my MBP and I only get a SINGLE IP address, so I really needed shared networking.

I read all the suggestions from this thread and none fixed the problem. I then noted that in OSX, system preferences, network that the Parallels NAT adapter had a strange status. Rather than indicating "connected" as I expected, it was indicated that it had a "self assigned IP address" and might not be able to connect. I knew that looked suspect. I tried turning off IPv4 config, then an apply, then turn it back to USE DHCP, then an apply, but that resulted in the same weird status.

I then went into Parallels Preferences, Network and turned off DHCP scope. I shutdown windoz and quit Parallels and then restarted Parallels, reboot of windoz. At first nothing changed, but then I remembered to go back into OSX Preferences, Network and check the Parallels NAT adapter. I set IPv4 config to off, then applied, then turned it back to USE DHCP, then another apply. This time, BINGO. The Parallels NAT adapter pulled a valid IP address from the range allowed within the Parallels Preference, Network settings. I then verified that windoz was now working in shared and sure enough it was working. Just to be sure, I have completely shutdown XP, Parallels, and OSX and did a complete reboot and shared networking is still working.

So, it looks like that after 10.5.2. updates were applied, something happened that broke Parallels NAT adapter's ability to pull a valid IP address. Turning off DHCP scope in Parallels, Preference, Network, then a shutdown of Parallels, then a relaunch of Parallels , turning back on Parallels, Preference, Network DHCP Scope, then a relaunch of windoz fixed the problem.

3/27/08: Just an update to confirm that I have not had any additional issues with shared networking. Over the past few days, I have rebooted XP and OSX several times with no ill effects.

david

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  13. NeilAJ

NeilAJ Bit poster

System Info

Thank you. Here's the info...

Mac ifconfig:
    Last login: Mon Mar 24 21:12:03 on ttys000
    neil-johnstons-computer:~ jackjohnston$ ifconfig
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:17:f2:2a:5a:7d
    media: autoselect status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
    fw0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
    lladdr 00:17:f2:ff:fe:5d:4c:f0
    media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::217:f2ff:fe48:4f2c%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
    inet 192.168.0.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    ether 00:17:f2:48:4f:2c
    en2: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:0%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
    inet 10.37.129.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
    ether 00:1c:42:00:00:00
    en3: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:1%en3 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
    inet 10.211.55.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
    ether 00:1c:42:00:00:01
    neil-johnstons-computer:~ jackjohnston$

Windows ipconfig /all

Host name: neiljohnsto83b1
    Primary DNS Suffix (blank)
    Node Type: Broadcast
    IP routing enabled: Yes
    WINS Proxy enabled: Yes

Ethernet Adapter Local Area connection:

Connection Specific DNS Suffix: (blank)
    Description: Parallels Network Adaptor
    Physical address: 00-78-39-68-EF-9D
    DHCP enabled: No
    IP address: 192.168.200.187
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.200.1
    DNS servers: 192.168.200.1

Tracert www.parallels.com

Unable to resolve target system name www.parallels.com.

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Fuel007one, thank you for the feedback.

Dtidmore, we appreciate the information provided by you.

NeilAJ, please reinstall Parallels Tools and remove network drivers/software that you do not need. In Terminal run ipconfig /renew.
    Are you using Bridged Ethernet?

Best regards,
    Xenos

15. cortig

cortig Member

Same here

Hi Xenos,

I'm having the same problem.
    I have network connectivity, but both the Parallels NAT adn Host-Guest get "self assigned" IPs that prevent me from connecting to anything through Parallels.
    Setting both on Off, applying, then reverting back to DHCP and applying doesn't help. sudo killall –hup pvsnatd doesn't help either.
    I found out that reinstalling the latest build (5584 I believe) does correct the problem, but it comes back as soon as I reboot my Mac. I wonder what the isntaller is doing that corrects (temporarely) the problem…

I do not believe it could be due to Antivirus comatibility (I have NAV isntalled, but it is set to only work "on demand").
    I do use The Little Snitch though, but it's not reporting any network activity or displaying the slightest parallels-related message.

MacOS X 10.5.2
    Mac Pro 4x3.0GHz
    4GB RAM

16. NeilAJ

NeilAJ Bit poster

I reinstalled Parallels Tools, but where do I see the list of network drivers/software in order to remove those not needed?

I am using Bridged Ethernet.

The Terminal ipconfig /renew brought the following. Is this what you'd expect?

Last login: Wed Mar 26 07:24:07 on console
    neil-johnstons-computer:~ jackjohnston$ ipconfig /renew
    usage: ipconfig <command> <args>
    where <command> is one of waitall, getifaddr, ifcount, getoption, getpacket, set, setverbose
    neil-johnstons-computer:~ jackjohnston$

Thanks,
    Neil

17. cortig

cortig Member

ipconfig / renew is not a proper syntax for the UNIX command you are running on your Mac. Since it is for the Windows equivalent, I guess it had to be run in the Windows side.
    To quote what Xenos previously mentioned:

18. NeilAJ

NeilAJ Bit poster

Running ipconfig /renew in Windows cmd brought:

"The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."

19. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

NeilAJ, I am sorry for the confusion, I naturally meant CMD. Thanks for the feedback.

Please check if IP address is obtained automatically on Windows side: go to Control Panel -> Network Connections, double click LAC -> Properties on General tab, choose Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the list of items and double click it.

In CMD ping IP of any web-site. You can find IP address of a website here.

Cortig, thank you for the help. Please try to restart Parallels NAT and Host-Guest this way:
    Choose "Off" for both adapters;
    Shut down the Guest OS and quit Parallels;
    Restart your Mac;
    Apply DHCP for both adapters again.

Best regards,
    Xenos

20. cortig

cortig Member

Hi Xenos,

I tried that and it didn't help.
    In the meanwhile, I was wondering why reinstalling was always correcting the issue for me though so I took a look inside the installer .pkg.
    I saw the postflight script and took a look inside too.
    It helped me find a solution that seems to wirk pretty well for me.
    If I run sudo /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Parallels restart, (and authenticate of course)both Parallels interfaces in the Network prefs immediately go back to Connected*and the problem is gone.
    There is apparently something fishy with the Parallels startup items.

Corentin