18.10 upgrade-- Bitlocker recovery required on ALL???

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AaronM12, Nov 3, 2022.

1. AaronM12

AaronM12 Bit poster

I can no longer boot any of my VMs after the 18.10 auto-upgrade. After entering my Bitlocker password, I get a screen indicating that secure boot has changed and that I need a recovery key... I don't have a recovery key for all the VMs. This has completely shut down my entire environment.

Is there any fix for this? Reinstalling and loosing all the data in the VMs in not acceptable.

Anyone else having this happen??

2. AaronM12

AaronM12 Bit poster

This is what happens after entering your bitlocker pin-

upload_2022-11-3_20-30-36.png

Attached Files:

3. ChristianB29

ChristianB29 Junior Member

I have the exact same issue. This is not good!

4. ChristianB29

I was lucky, I did find my recovery key.

5. AaronM12

AaronM12 Bit poster

I managed to find mine keys as well-- the process was not trivial when you have multiple accounts and VMs.. but assuming you KNOW the account associated with the VM and you can log into it, etc. then its possible to recover the key.

This doesn't help people that don't know/have/remember the email+pw associated to the MSFT account (not sure one is even required to use Bitlocker), and/or if you have many VMs as this is a PITA because you can't even copy-n-paste, you have to type it in manually (another PITA if you have a lot of VMs).

Not INFORMING the end-user that, "Hey, if you upgrade and use Bitlocker, you'll be down until you can enter your recovery key" would have been a REALLY good thing to do... I can see this causing a large number of issues for many people (esp. for VMs that were made for them by friend/some-support-person/IT/etc)

REALLY big oversight IMHO not stopping the install immediately with a pop-up "Upgrading will prevent the following VMs from booting until you enter the bitlocker recovery key: <list of VMs> .. make sure you can log into your MSFT account and verify you have your bitlocker key available... Failure to do so will lock you out of the VM and ALL OF ITS DATA".

6. ChristianB29

7. Pat-NS

Pat-NS Junior Member

On top of it, for me, it asks for it at every reboot of the VM. Not just once after update. Do you guys get the same ? Entering this key every time sure isn't fun...

8. Pat-NS

Pat-NS Junior Member

After entering it twice. Then shutdown, closing parallels and reopening everything it nows remembers it apparently... That was weird. I also notice the key got rotated but I think this is normal and part of the process when you use a recovery key so make sure you get the updated key if you every need to enter it again since it changed.