2014 Macbook Pro (2.8Ghz 16GB RAM) periodically grinds to halt when running Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DamienB2, Jan 29, 2018.

1. DamienB2

DamienB2 Member

I have had this setup for a long time. Never had any major issues. Since the High Sierra update though and Paralles Desktop 13, I am having what I consider to be major problems. To the point where I have had to buy a second/backup computer to carry about.

I can't put my finger on the problem but it is certainly Parallels related. The VM (in this case Windows 10) become completely unresponsive and at the same time the macOS also becomes somewhat unresponsive. There are seconds here and there where it will respond breifly but it basically becomes completely unusable. I have to force shut down the Macbook by holding the power button. After powering back up I can use macOS without any problems whatsoever. Until I start a my Parallels VM. Starting Parallels doesn't cause the problem. I can start Parallels and let it sit there with no VM's running without a problem. Something happens when the VM is running that causes this. I should mention that this isn't every time. For the past two weeks or so everything has been running quite smoothly, but then there are days where I just cannot get the VM to run without crashing my Macbook completely.

The backup computer I purchased is also a Mac. Just a Macbook (not pro), which is also running High Sierra and Parallels with a Windows 10 VM. This I have no problems with. So the problem is something specific to the Macbook Pro.

Is anyone else having similar issues? Is there any diagnostics I can do?

Thanks,

Damien