32 bit or 64 bit

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JoshuaO, Apr 13, 2010.

1. JoshuaO

JoshuaO Bit poster

I have a a late 2008 mac book 2.0 ghz processor 4 gb ram soon upgrading to 6gb ram. The apple site states that it cannot not run 64 bit windows in BootCamp. Would the same apply to Parallels?

Thanks

2. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

My MacBook was build November 2008. I am running Snow Leopard in 64 bits. I figured that if I can run Snow Leopard in 64 bit I should be able to run Windows in 64 bit. The apple site does not list my MacBook as 64 bit or not, but because I was running Snow Leopard in 64 bit mode I thought the hardware should support it.

I used Boot Camp to install 64 bit Windows, and Windows 7 had no issues installing in 64 bit mode. Bootcamp 3.0 however on the PC side said my MacBook did not support 64 bit mode and refused to install the 64 bit Apple drivers... I searched the internet and tried a few suggestions to let Windows 7 run programs that would not run under Windows 7 (compatibility settings) and found a setting that let me run the executable in the 64 bit folder of the Snow Leopard Boot Camp installer. This installed all the 64 bit Apple drivers (Windows had installed generic drivers).

Other than that hitch everything has been fine. Boot Camp 3.1 update had no issues, now did any other of the Mac or PC software. Windows 7 is running 64 bit mode, and my drivers all seem to be 64 bit as well. It was not as easy as I had hoped, nor as hard as I had reared.

Megavolt17

3. JoshuaO

JoshuaO Bit poster

Thanks!
    Have you launched Windows in Parallels though?

4. megavolt17

Yes, I use 64 bit Windows 7 in Boot Camp and also use that partition to run Parallels.

5. JoshuaO

JoshuaO Bit poster

Thanks again!
    And just to confirm your running on a macbook not a macbook pro?

6. megavolt17

Correct, a November 2008 MacBook. This is a computer that Boot Camp claimed was not compatible with 64 bit Windows (although Windows 7 had no complaints about installing onto it). I had to "trick" Boot Camp into installing the 64 bit drivers for Windows.

7. JoshuaO

JoshuaO Bit poster

Sweet.
    Same here.
    I'm sure NEwegg thanks you for the pourchase of 64 bit windows 7 I'm about to make.

Cheers!!

8. MJB

MJB Bit poster

Will Win 7 64 bit work on New Powerbook Pro?

Sorry for the novice question... I just purchased a new MacBook Pro and wondered if I would have the same problem with 64 bit Win 7 as megavolt7 described with his MacBook. I assume not from reading between the lines of your posts but I wanted to check. I am doing a fresh install of all my software from my old laptop which was running XP in parallels only (no bootcamp). I think I might like to go with Win 7 64 bit on bootcamp and use that partition for parallels. What are the advantages of this newer setup and what are your suggestions? Thanks!

9. megavolt17

I believe all MacBook Pros run Windows 7 in 64 bit mode. Only the late 2009 MacBooks are supposed to be able to, however because it runs Snow Leopard in 64 bit mode that did not make any sense. Seems the installer tries to limit those of us with older MacBooks and claims we can't run Windows in 64 bit mode, but apparently that is not true.

We can install Windows 7 64 bit, then either manually install the 64 bit drivers or run the Boot Camp_64 installer in Windows compatibility mode. Once BC 3.0 is installed it has no problem updating it to 3.1 (and hopefully 3.2).

You can also make a virtual HD using Parallels, that is a bit easier to set up. The only advantage to a BC partition is for gaming, where some 3D games are not as smooth running in Parallels. I've run Halo and Gears of War through Parallels - playable but GOW gets jerky during the animation scenes and if there is a lot of action on screen at the same time.

10. JoshuaO

JoshuaO Bit poster

I believe it will. Apple has info on its website regarding what macs are compatible with 64 bit in Boot Camp. I believe the new pros are and would assume it would then work in parallels as well.