32 or 64bit

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BriceC, Sep 7, 2011.

1. BriceC

BriceC Bit poster

I'm about to buy Windows 7. Should I buy a 32 or 64bit version to run with Parallels 7? I have a new Macbook Air with a 1.7GHz i5 and 4GB of RAM. This is the the system requirements for the most intensive program I plan on using:

* Pentium4 2.26GHz or higher
    * 512MB of system memory
    * At least 128MB of dedicated video memory
    * 256-bit video memory bus -or- a high speed 128-bit video memory bus
    * 8 or more pixel shader units

It's a radar program that renders 3D volume displays of storm structures.

Also, how much memory should I dedicate to the VM?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. MGhostSoft

MGhostSoft Junior Member

1. I suggest you to upgrade to 8GB RAM anyway. If you don't want to upgrade, then I think 32bit is better, because it occupies less RAM. However you still need to allocate at least 1.5GB RAM to Windows 7.

2. It's better to give Windows 7 partition at least 40GB disk space. Since you're using MBA, make sure you have enough disk space.

3. BriceC

BriceC Bit poster

8GB is not an option for the MBA. If I allocate RAM to Windows 7, will it only 'take up' that amount of RAM when I am running Parallels? Or will I be slowing my machine down all the time?

4. GeelMeel

GeelMeel Bit poster

Parallels will only use the RAM while it is running the VM. If Parallels isn't running or if you suspend the VM it doesn't use RAM. If you only plan on running programs that need those requirements 32 bit should be fine, and will be a little less taxing on the your system. I have read reviews that say Parallels runs great on the Air.

5. RianQ

RianQ Junior Member

I have a Macbook Air, and I run Fusion, so I would imagine that P7 would work. My Air has 4 GBs.

6. JessicaW

JessicaW Banned

I use the 32bit, and it works fine with me. Running my programs works with the 32bit, so if I where you, I will do the same way too. Well, that is only my opinion base on my experience [​IMG]