3DsMax problems in Parallels Desktop 9 (OSX Mavericks)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by -Kieran-, Oct 29, 2013.

1. -Kieran-

-Kieran- Bit poster

Hi all! My first post to the forums and one which I make with a big issue I need solving.

It seems that 3DsMax is needing to take nearly all of the CPU available to run. This is most prominent when playing animation, even something very simply on a low-poly character mesh.

[​IMG]
    You can see in the screenshot that it's seriously struggling to render the basic geometry in the viewport and is needing to take a vast amount of CPU at the same time. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening and how I can have a much more stable and efficient 3DsMax running?

I am running Parallels Desktop 9 with OSX Mavericks on a mid-2010 iMac with a 3.2Ghz i3 processor. 8GB of RAM is assigned to Parallelss (of my 16GB total), as well as 1 CPU and 1GB of Video Memory.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. serv

serv Forum Maven

What if you add a second VCPU to your VM?

3. -Kieran-

-Kieran- Bit poster

I can apply up to 4 CPUs to the VM. Applying multiple CPUs lowers the usage sufficiently, but performance itself doesn't actually improve at all, all of the problems remain.

I just tried to do some work with a high-poly model and performance decreased even more, to the point where it also affected the Mac badly and the entire computer shuddered to a halt. It's practically unusable at the moment.

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

4 VCPUs is a little too much for dual core i3, so I'd only try 2 VCPUs at most. Also, 1Gb of VRAM is excessive for your iMac which I guess have 256Mb or 512Mb.

5. serv

serv Forum Maven

One obvious thing I forgot to suggest is to check Max renderer settings, whether you're set to Nitrous DX11/DX9/software or Legacy OpenGL. You could try various setting to see if it makes a difference.