Ability to Copy/Paste on demand without automatic clipboard sharing with Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by Esko, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Esko

Esko Bit poster

I can't share clipboard with host OS because of security implications, but I need to copypaste across VMs.

MatthewR20, ThomasS79 and DaleE like this.
  2. alev

alev Parallels Team

So you don't want clipboard to be shared with Mac, but you are OK with the fact that it is shared among VMs?

3. Esko

Esko Bit poster

I want a few different things that I bet will be edge cases. I'm not unrealistic. There's probably a way to satisfy my needs with an implementation that makes sense for more people. Was in a hurry when creating the topic.

I want to share clipboard from a VM without friction, and also paste as expected into the VM if it can be done without continuous access to host clipboard for the VM. One approach might be to create menu items for the VM such as Copy From VM and Paste Into VM while clipboard sharing is entirely disabled. If only pasting is possible, that would be helpful.

You raise the idea of sharing clipboard selectively between VMs. Worth considering too.

In general with VMs, I want to isolate them as much as possible yet still be able to get files in and out (drag and drop is nice) and transfer clipboard between them securely (with expressed intent every time).

Thanks!

4. alev

alev Parallels Team

Thanks Esko, the idea is clear!
    Can you shed some light on what you are trying to accomplish with isolated VMs and why clipboard isolation is important in such scenario? You can send a personal message if you want.

5. ThomasS79

ThomasS79 Bit poster

I came here to wish the same. I want to isolate the VM from the host as much as possible. There are many reasons for that: testing software in the VM beeing the most important. General security precautions are another factor.
    But sometimes i want to copy some text over into the VM or vice versa. Like some seed values or some results. It doesn't have to be fancy, i need just the text and it would suffice to push it into the respective "other" clipboard on request.