Ability to transfert files in both directions using the prlctl command line tool

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by jerome2, May 25, 2021.

1. jerome2

jerome2 Bit poster

Hello parallels guys,

We are using your product in our CI system, to be able to run functional tests of our products. This solution allows us to automatically validate the "real life" behaviors or software that modifies the system's configuration, while still having fully isolated tests. It runs perfectly.
    The next step for us would be to be able to setup almost air-gapped environment, to run automated test on real malwares. Do do that, we have to isolate the machine almost completely.

Thanks to the guest additions, we are able to execute a command from the host on a guest machine that has no network configured. Great !
    But sadly, it is not possible to transfer a file to or from the VM, as if we were drag&dropping from the host to the guest, but using prlctl. We have to use scp, which means we need to have a network interface configured and connected on the guest.

Would it be possible to add copyFrom and copyTo actions to the prlctl tool, to transfer files through the guest additions ?

Thanks for the great work you are doing !

Jerome

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi Jerome,

How about sharing a single read-only folder with a VM and then destroying this folder?
    --shf-host-add <name> --path <path> [--mode <ro | rw>] [--shf-description <txt>] [--enable | --disable]

Another idea would be to put the necessary files on a CD image (hdiutil makehybrid) and then attach it to a VM.

3. jerome2

jerome2 Bit poster

Hello Alev.
    Thanks for your answer. I will give the shared folder option a try, but I have to say it would be much more comfortable to have a command to do that.
    Is there any chance this can be added some day, or is there no need to wait ?

4. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi Jerome,
    It might be added someday, but I don't recommend you to wait now.