Access to Firewire through Thunderbolt Dock?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MichaelLAX, Jul 1, 2013.

1. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Will this work as a general principle?

Specifically, I am interested, on behalf of those with legacy Firewire scannning devices that require PowerPC applications. This could be a way to restore use through the installation of Snow Leopard Server installed into Parallels.

Of course this then begs the questions of will Snow Leopard recognize the Thunderbolt Dock (such as the new Belkin)?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Currently, only USB devices are directly accessible to virtual machines. FireWire drives can be accessed via shared folders and shared volumes, and since we are talking abou OSX Guests, HFS permits it to be readable and write able. For both these situations Thunderbolt is perfectly transparent.

As for controlling FireWire directly, that is a tottally different technology that requires software and hardware (CPU) support, something like Parallels Workstation Extreme.

3. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Yes, I understand the historical problem in attempting to access a Firewire device from within Parallels; thank you for that brush up.

I was asking about the latest devices from Belkin and others, that access Firewire through the Thunderbolt port!

AND: I am talking about non-file sharing devices, such as Scanners, etc.