"Access to the path is denied." when attempting to check in files to TFS

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by edgett, Mar 13, 2015.

1. edgett

edgett Bit poster

In early January I began encountering an error similar to "E:\Websites\Stage\mywebsite\somefile.ascx: Access to the path is denied" on a multitude of my local files when attempting to check them in. The files it is failing on are all sorts of files, PNG, ASPX, CONFIG, etc.

I am using Visual Studio 2013 for Web (Update 4) and the visualstudioonline.com TFS.

The files are stored on my Mac's data volume. I can manually open, manipulate, and save any of the files that error so I do not believe it is truly a permissions issues.

I ran a powershell script on the folder Get-ChildItem -Include *.* -Recurse -Path 'E:\Websites\Stage' | select fullname,isreadonly and all the files return 'False' under theisreadonly column. No errors are returned.

This setup had worked for months but suddenly it began giving me problems. I opened a ticket with Microsoft, who spent about three weeks looking into this issue.

If I move the files to the C drive of the VM, the errors go away. It appears an update to Parallels in late 2014/very early 2015 broke the ability to check-in files from a Mac drive.

Does anyone have a timeframe of when this might be resolved?

2. CraigP1

CraigP1 Bit poster

I had this same problem and had to go through extraordinary pain to move the source files. Is a fix coming soon?

3. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi all,
    Please submit a Problem Report http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, so that we can check it for you.

4. PanT

PanT Bit poster

I have the same problem. It is still not resolved.

5. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Please submit a Problem Report http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, so that we can check it for you.

6. pha1978

pha1978 Bit poster

Looks in my case the same and a result of upgrading MAC OS Version. Definitely not an Permission problem from my perspective.
    Question: has someone already opened a ticket on this or someone solved the issue here?
    thanks
    Pet.

7. FlorianK1

FlorianK1 Bit poster

Same issue here. Any progress?

8. JasonM8

JasonM8 Bit poster

Wow, this is ridiculous, this issues is over 1 year old. I found this post but I had posted this last week https://forum.parallels.com/threads/visual-studio-tfs-check-in-fails-with-access-denied.336835/
    The only "solution" I found was to change my workspace from Local to Server. Depending on your situation this may or may not be an option for you (google TFS local vs Server workspace to see the issues). I am 99% of the time online so this works although it is not ideal. Seems silly that Local workspaces work with VMware Fusion, but in general performance of VS is way, way better in Parallels so we are all stuck.

9. AllisonG

AllisonG Bit poster

I recently switched from a PC to a Mac with parallels. I could check-in fine at first, but now I'm getting this same error. I found a work around by saving the project on an external hard drive. Also not ideal, but it works.

10. MartinB7

MartinB7 Bit poster

I got the same problem. Any solution to this, besides using server workspace?

11. TonyK3

TonyK3 Bit poster

Hi All,
    I have a solution for you on this.
    After a session with Parallels support, they had no clue, but, I did get the info that when parallels is accessing files on the mac filesystem, it's doing so as a network file share, not as a 'local' device. A bit of googling discovered that Visual Studio does not support TFS when files are on a network share. If it works sometimes, then we get lucky, but it's not supported officially.
    The solution was to move my workspaces to the windows local filesystem within the VM.
    Hope this helps a few people! But hoping more that Microsoft will complete their implementation of VS for mac so I won't need a VM at all !
    Tony