Accessing NetBoot Server

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by VelancheS, Jan 12, 2017.

1. VelancheS

VelancheS Bit poster

Greetings:
    I've been looking far and wide online trying to find info on how to specify a Netboot server to boot off of.

I'm on Parallels Desktop Pro 12, and yesterday I was able to successful create a VM that points to a Netboot server, a separate computer, that houses some DeployStudio images that I've created previously. Whereas yesterday the VM found our Netboot server automatically, today when I attempted to create another VM to get an image from the server, it instead pointed to a different netboot server, and launched that instead.

I've been scouring the Internet on how to get it so that the VM can get properly directed to our Netboot server. I am assuming that this needs to happen sometime after the command line that includes PXE appears, but I'm down to finding out whatever works. I'd like to have it just as easy as when I press the Option key on one of our Macs to see the boot options, and then choose my flavor.

Thanks for reading; looking forward to your replies.

2. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hey @VelancheS,
    Create the virtual machine with Express installation unchecked.
    To allocate more CPU and Memory Options Step 6 choose "Customize settings before installation" > Hardware > CPU & memory.
    Set Network type to Bridged Network mode (PXE boot will not work through Shared Networking)
    You will now PXE boot your installation, remember to hit F12 to get it to look for the PXE Server.