Add HDR support

Vodafone TV (Spain) requires Windows and HDR support (it doesn't work on Mac). While on the move, it would be nice to be able to watch Spanish TV on my Mac, something I cannot currently do. I guess the issue is not limited to this provider. And, well, yes, we are in 2025
 
Don't forget to upvote by the "Vote" button or quickly upvote via clicking: https://forum.parallels.com/posts/888052/like (same as clicking "Vote")

bafkreiememh5z5zh573poxo4xh2uoyp3o6elf6isupmorekm4splbrtbee@jpeg


For Developer QA at Parallels:
1. There is a new HDR testing site at: https://www.testufo.com/hdr
2. Upgrade your QA department with at least one good HDR display.
3. Also include some HDR videos and HDR videogames too.

This is the easiest way to test for HDR support:
Hello,
I recently released a HDR display-testing website that works on both PC and Mac in Chrome browser. However, it is not working in Parallels properly.
Web-Based HDR Benchmarking Website
This is a new feature coming to web browsers:
1. Load Chrome browser on any XDR dipslay, MiniLED display, or OLED display (including TVs)
2. Enable Experimental Web Platform Features (WCG+HDR) at chrome://flags/#enable-experimental-web-platform-features
3. Open www.testufo.com/hdr

Good: Chrome Web Browser on PC / Mac Native
This is what it should look like with HDR (on either PC native or Mac native)

testufo-hdr-test.jpeg


Bad: Chrome Web Browser in Parallels
But in Parallels, it looks like this:

IMG_2401-scaled.jpeg

Most LCDs have terrible HDR support, but MacBook MiniLED screens with XDR, supports great HDR. So does the new MiniLED and OLED monitors. Just because HDR is awful on most displays -- doesn't mean HDR doesn't look amazing. For years, HDR looked worse than SDR because of cheap LCDs, so please don't decide against HDR because of QA test department is missing a good HDR display -- get at least one and test fully.

Many games now include HDR support, which only starts looking great when the display is able to peak at ~1500 nits for up to a few pixels (e.g. bright flames, bright sun glints on a chrome car, bright neons). Also, google "HDR brighter than white" for some HDR pixel demos.
 
Added my vote for HDR support. We desperately need it. There are certain applications on Windows that I need HDR support and unfortunately they don't work on the Mac at all. Please let the next edition of Parallels have it!
 
Adding more pressure to Parallels:
On April 4th, 2025 (04/04 -- homage to Error 404 of web fame), I did an all-browsers HDR test:
HDR support is rapidly hitting several web browsers rapidly, outside of video playback:

upload_2025-5-31_12-43-32.png
 
I also need HDR support.

I'm developing a graphics application that need to display colors correctly in HDR and would love to use Parallels to test my application on Windows and Linux while on my mac... but no dice. I'd be happy to purchase a new copy of Parallels once HDR support is here. Otherwise, there's little point if I have to switch to a different machine for HDR testing anyway.
 
Update -- the HDR website analytics tells me 24% of my web visitors (to TestUFO) are visiting using HDR-enabled displays and mobiles.
WebGPU HDR no longer requires a flag in Chrome/Edge/Safari and will generate brighter-than-white graphics already.
 
Back
Top