Adding wifi USB to Kali VM

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by PN_, Mar 16, 2015.

1. PN_

PN_ Bit poster

Hi all,
    I'm running latest Parallels on Yosemite, and have a Kali Linux VM. I need to add wifi to the Kali VM, and have bought a USB Wifi adapter running the Atheros AR9271 chipset. In order to get this working, am I correct in thinking that I need to :
    1. Install the Atheros drivers on Yosemite, get the USB wifi working
    2. Then install the Atheros drivers for Kali Linux.

has anyone managed to set this up, and if so, are there any tips or advice you can offer, or links that might prove helpful?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello PN,
    Start Parallels Desktop, go to Parallels Desktop menu -> Preferences -> Devices,check whether the device you would like to connect to your virtual machine is listed under the Permanent Assignments list. Use " +" to add the device or Launch your virtual machine. Once you have Kali up and running go to Devices menu -> External Devices and choose the device you would like to connect to your virtual machine. Then install the Atheros drivers for Kali Linux > Reboot Virtual Machine and check if the issue still persisting.

3. SimonA10

SimonA10 Bit poster

Hello,
    I am trying to connect a realtek 802.11n USB wifi adaptor to my kali machine on Parallels Desktop. The device is under permanent assignments list. Also when I open my kali machine, there is a thick near the my USB adaptor guessing which means it is connected. But why I say ifconfig, I cannot see the device under my network options. I have been struggling with that for some time now, so any suggestion would be really helpful. Thanks.

4. Hello,
    please collect the technical report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.
    We will be glad to help.