I've upgraded Parallels from 3 to the latest 5 (5.0.9220), and OSX to Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I cannot get the WinXP VM to start up on my 20" iMac (mid 07, 2.4 core 2 duo, 4gb ram) although the same upgrades were no problem on my Mini (early 06, core duo 1.66) or 13" aluminum MacBook (late 08, 2.4 core 2 duo). I've compared settings among the 3 Macs and all seem to be the same.
On each of the Macs I first upgraded Parallels from 3 to 5, while running Leopard 10.5. First the Mini, then MacBook, then iMac. Each worked fine including the iMac. Then I upgraded each to Snow Leopard, first with 10.6 DVD, then upped to 10.6.2. As I said, the Mini and MacBook went OK, but not the iMac. I had uninstalled Parallels off the Mini, so I went back and reinstall P5 on the new existing 10.6.2 and again it ran fine.
On the iMac, I don't think this is the same slow startup issue some people are having, and I am not getting the BSOD. Parallels Desktop starts up right away but the VM will not start up after any length of time. It stays stuck on the black screen with the Parallels version of the spinning beach ball. This is true with either my existing VM or with trying to start a new VM. I have uninstalled and re-installed Parallels several times including the complete wipe referenced here:
http://kb.parallels.com/en/6904
A couple other quirks on the iMac. When I start the P Desktop and go to prefs, I get "The network settings are misconfigured and will now be automatically corrected by Parallels Desktop." in the Network pref. I hit OK and it does nothing. I hit Restore Defaults, say Yes, and it does nothing. I close the prefs, reopen prefs, and the Network settings (I assume the defaults) match the Mini and MacBook, and hit OK. I quit the Desktop, reopen it, go to prefs, and get the same "misconfigured" notice.
Another quirk when trying to create a new VM on the iMac. First Parallels will not recognize the disk drive with the WinXP install disk (it does show in Finder). I made an image file of the install disk and this is recognized. I enter the Windows product code and hit continue. On the next screen I hit Create and get "Success.The operation was successfully completed." OK goes back to the Create screen. On that screen I hit the Advanced button where I increase the allocated memory to 256mb and get "Are you sure you want to allocate 256 MB of memory to the virtual machine? Allocating more than 0 MB of memory to a virtual machine may significantly decrease its performance." I say Yes, then hit the Create button again. Now it says the VM was successfully created and click Start to install the OS.
At this point I'm back to black screen spinning "beachball" and the install never gets Windows loaded to begin.
I'm very frustrated. As I said, the same upgrades of Parallels and OSX completed without a problem on my Mini and MacBook. All 3 are on the same network going through the same Linksys router and Motorola modem to Conmcast cable (MacBook via Airport). Something is different with the iMac.
Any ideas? Thanks!
p.s. Several days ago I sent in a Parallels report ID #1116436
p.p.s. For the record, yes, I am installing the same copy of Parallels on 3 different computers. The installs on the Mini and MacBook were meant as tests. I need Parallels to work on my iMac, and will uninstall off the other 2 once the iMac install is working.
On each of the Macs I first upgraded Parallels from 3 to 5, while running Leopard 10.5. First the Mini, then MacBook, then iMac. Each worked fine including the iMac. Then I upgraded each to Snow Leopard, first with 10.6 DVD, then upped to 10.6.2. As I said, the Mini and MacBook went OK, but not the iMac. I had uninstalled Parallels off the Mini, so I went back and reinstall P5 on the new existing 10.6.2 and again it ran fine.
On the iMac, I don't think this is the same slow startup issue some people are having, and I am not getting the BSOD. Parallels Desktop starts up right away but the VM will not start up after any length of time. It stays stuck on the black screen with the Parallels version of the spinning beach ball. This is true with either my existing VM or with trying to start a new VM. I have uninstalled and re-installed Parallels several times including the complete wipe referenced here:
http://kb.parallels.com/en/6904
A couple other quirks on the iMac. When I start the P Desktop and go to prefs, I get "The network settings are misconfigured and will now be automatically corrected by Parallels Desktop." in the Network pref. I hit OK and it does nothing. I hit Restore Defaults, say Yes, and it does nothing. I close the prefs, reopen prefs, and the Network settings (I assume the defaults) match the Mini and MacBook, and hit OK. I quit the Desktop, reopen it, go to prefs, and get the same "misconfigured" notice.
Another quirk when trying to create a new VM on the iMac. First Parallels will not recognize the disk drive with the WinXP install disk (it does show in Finder). I made an image file of the install disk and this is recognized. I enter the Windows product code and hit continue. On the next screen I hit Create and get "Success.The operation was successfully completed." OK goes back to the Create screen. On that screen I hit the Advanced button where I increase the allocated memory to 256mb and get "Are you sure you want to allocate 256 MB of memory to the virtual machine? Allocating more than 0 MB of memory to a virtual machine may significantly decrease its performance." I say Yes, then hit the Create button again. Now it says the VM was successfully created and click Start to install the OS.
At this point I'm back to black screen spinning "beachball" and the install never gets Windows loaded to begin.
I'm very frustrated. As I said, the same upgrades of Parallels and OSX completed without a problem on my Mini and MacBook. All 3 are on the same network going through the same Linksys router and Motorola modem to Conmcast cable (MacBook via Airport). Something is different with the iMac.
Any ideas? Thanks!
p.s. Several days ago I sent in a Parallels report ID #1116436
p.p.s. For the record, yes, I am installing the same copy of Parallels on 3 different computers. The installs on the Mini and MacBook were meant as tests. I need Parallels to work on my iMac, and will uninstall off the other 2 once the iMac install is working.