Agggh! Major SOS - Parallels "lost" activation and existing VMs

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Robert Meador, May 28, 2010.

1. Robert Meador

Robert Meador Junior Member

I've been operating Parallels 5 for about a month - bought the upgrade direct from Nova. Everything has been working fine, but today when I launched it it asked me for my activation code. And when I try to enter it, the entry box "wiggles" and tells me the code is wrong. Tried 3 times, re-read it 10 times, I'm sure it's right.

If I skip that step, it starts asking to to set up virtual machines - but I already have two set up. It doesn't seem to be aware of that.

So, it seems to have lost any memory of my successful prior setup. What the heck do I do now? I have websites to test and need my XP environment desperately!

Please, please, any help will be so appreciated!

- Bob

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I suggest you deinstall Parallels using the de-installer on the CD or image. The de-installer will ask you whether you'd like to keep your VM files; say "yes". After deinstalling Parallels, re-start your Mac. Re-install Parallels. To get a VM back and "register" it with Parallels, double-click on a VM packages (they should sit in (yourusername)/Documents/Parallels). Good luck!