Allow Disable Menu & Dock on OS X Lion Fullscreen

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by NathanJ, Nov 4, 2011.

1. NathanJ

NathanJ Member

The OSX Lion full screen capability is very handy and intuitive. The only issues I have are accidentally triggering a popup of the dock or (more problematically) the Apple menu.

I frequently accidentally exit full screen mode when trying to close my maximized Windows apps which of course rearranges my icons and window sizes. And I'm always competing with the Apple menu when I'm using a full screen RDP connection.

Parallels can disable the menu and dock if you select the option to require a password to exit fullscreen mode (in the "Security" section). But then the only way to switch to another desktop is to actually come out of fullscreen which I don't want to do for the reason stated above.

REQUEST: I think it would be very helpful to have a "Disable Apple Menu & Dock" option in the "Full Screen" section as a sub-option of "Use Mac OS X Full Screen". Then if you hit the escape key combo (e.g. Ctrl+Alt) the menu and dock would be reenabled.

UPDATE: I've since discovered that you can accomplish this exact behavior by selecting "Active Screen Corners" and then selecting no action (i.e. "-") for each of the corners. Maybe instead of a specific option, the fact that this will hide the menu and dock should be highlighted rather than the current cryptic message about "Mac OS X full screen controls".

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. GeoffreyG

GeoffreyG Bit poster

I would like to see this implement