Am I supposed to install Windows 10 under Bootcamp first and then Parallels under Mac OS?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by remotecontroller, Jan 8, 2020.

1. remotecontroller

remotecontroller Member

Hi, when I used Parallels years ago, there was a saying that for better performance, one should install Windows natively via Bootcamp first. Then, install Parallels on the Mac OS rather than the other way around. How is the situation with Parallels 15?

2. strells

strells Product Expert

If you want to create a Bootcamp partition and be able to run that Bootcamp install of Windows while Mac OS is running, then yes, you would set up Bootcamp first and then create a VM that points to your Bootcamp partition. You could certainly install Parallels first but you'd have no partition to point to yet.

remotecontroller likes this.
  3. remotecontroller

remotecontroller Member

Thank you strells.

4. remotecontroller

remotecontroller Member

In the past, we needed to buy an official Windows in order to install/run it via Bootcamp. What about now? I installed Parallels on the Mac before the reply and it seems that it comes with a Windows already? Does it only work in Parallels rather than also in Bootcamp? I am a bit confused. Could somebody please clarify?

5. SilkM

SilkM Bit poster

I got really good information from this content.
    thanks for sharing.