Any limitations?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by Ray14, May 17, 2021.

1. Ray14

Ray14 Bit Poster

Are there any limitations on what you can run on Windows ARM? Will all the applications I'm currently running on the Intel version still work?
    Thanks

2. jimor

jimor Bit Poster

Drivers for hardware, games and apps will only work if they're designed for a Windows 10 ARM-based PC
    64-bit (x64) apps won't work.
    Games and apps won't work if they use a version of OpenGL greater than 1.1 won't work.
    Some third-party antivirus software can't be installed.

3. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

You can run Windows ARM64 apps native and x86 and x64 apps emulated. Most apps will work, but for a definitive answer you would have to list all the apps you want to use and hope that someone here has already used them.
    If an app requires a driver, it won't work unless there's an ARM driver available. x64 app support is still new and possibly not as reliable as x86 support.

4. William Vayens

William Vayens Bit Poster

You will find apps that will not install on Windows ARM. And unless the app states specifically that it supports Win 10 ARM Parallels position is that you'll need to contact them. The switch to ARM has not been seamless at all.

5. Ray14

Ray14 Bit Poster

So legacy x86 applications should likely work just fine if they don't need any drivers?
    Would there be any issues compiling x86/x64 apps with Visual Studio?
    Thanks!

6. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Yes, everything I wanted to install works. For one or two older (pre Win 10) apps I had to change the emulation or compatibility settings. Of course you might have one of the rare apps that won't work, but most likely your x86 apps will work. And x64 emulation still gets improved too.

7. Ray14

Ray14 Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies, just what I wanted to hear

8. kundanno

kundanno Kilo Poster

I have noticed that apps that use kernel level resources have issues. For example, the checkpoint endpoint vpn software (E84.10) does not work. However their Capsule software which is available in the Microsoft Store works just fine.