Anybody noticed issues with Windows 8.1 Smart Search when sharing Documents/Music etc

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by danieltharris, Mar 20, 2014.

1. danieltharris

danieltharris Member

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody else has noticed that their Windows 8.1 Smart Search doesn't work when you share you home folders with Windows?

When I try to do a search "Everywhere" from the start screen I get an error saying the search took too long and couldn't be completed, try again later.

Anybody else notice this when sharing files via psf\\documents etc into Windows? And any way to fix the issue?

2. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Danieltharris,

Parallels Tools could be corrupted. Isolate Mac from Windows Virtual Machine and re-install Parallels Tools.

To isolate Mac from Windows VM, Go to Virtual Machine menu > Click on Configure > Select Security tab and check "Isolate Mac from Windows".

Re-install Parallels Tools as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/4841

Please un-check "Isolate Mac from Windows" option once Parallels Tools is re-installed.

Thanks,

Manoj D

3. chollander

chollander Bit poster

I'm having this same problem, and the suggested actions didn't fix it. Isolating the VM did make bing search work again, but then when i re-shared the folders, bing search stopped working again.

4. danieltharris

danieltharris Member

I didn't isolate the VM, but I did turn off sharing of the Movies, Picture, Documents etc folder. This fixes it. I think it's a problem that smart search in Windows 8.1 doesn't work in general when network locations are assigned to those folders.

I've got the Network share root on my desktop for now and haven't shared the folders back, so they are now pointing to C:\Users\MyUser\Documents etc

I think there may be a way to point them back and keep Smart Search working still, i'll try and few things in the next day or so and post my findings here. If it can't be done I'd rather keep smart search working, and just access my mac files from the network location, rather than from the actual "Pictures" folder etc.