Associate File Extensions of Published Application

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by DennisT, Jun 13, 2007.

1. DennisT

DennisT Guest

What does this do? It appears that users should then be able double click on a file that has a registered extension and the file would be opened with the published application.
    IE
    I publish "Word" to a user, setting the doc extension associated.
    The user then can double click on test.doc and it opens in Word (provided by the Application server).

I'm not seeing this. If I (test mode) double click on test.doc Word opens to a new (blank) document.

2. nixu

nixu Guest

Make sure that drive redirection is switched on from the client settings.

Nixu

3. DennisT

DennisT Guest

Thanks nixu, it works great!
    :D

4. DennisT

DennisT Guest

How can I assign this globally?

5. nixu

nixu Guest

You can edit the msi to switch on this feature using orca.

The manual explans it well.

Nixu

6. DennisT

DennisT Guest

Thanks!

7. ghiradelli24

ghiradelli24 Bit poster

If anyone is out there to help answer this, I need help. We are on v10 server and clients (mostly) and users that try and open Word documents locally on their PCs (they do not have Office installed), ALWAYS get a blank Word document when 2X opens Word from the server. We usually do have the Word viewer locally installed though (not sure if that matters).

I do not see this option listed on the post "Make sure that drive redirection is switched on from the client settings". Does that still exist in the new version? Please help, as this is very frustrating for our users. The weird thing is, Excel does NOT do this, only WORD. Is there something within the published app settings-wise on the server?

FYI, "register file extensions associated from the server" is selected on the client side in 2X. Thakns for any help.

8. jpc

jpc Pro

@ghiradelli24: The option mentioned in that post is on the client side (Connection Properties > Local Resources > Local Devices > Disk Drives) though it should be switched on by default.

9. ghiradelli24

ghiradelli24 Bit poster

I spaced out on this post and never got back to anyone for help. This is checked on our PCs and yet, it still opens a blank Word doc. Is there anything else to troubleshoot? Does anyone else have this issue?

We're running into things like users checking webmail, trying to open a Word doc, so we have it open in the Word Reader (by telling Windows to always open .doc files this way), but then if they want to edit a document saved in a network share, they double-click it and of course it will open in the Word Reader because of the Windows setting.

We just would love 2X Word to be able to open all Word docs, from shared drive files to attachments. Seems wired it would trigger to open the program but not retrieve the document. Any help!?

10. jpc

jpc Pro

@ghiradelli24: Can the users open the file from within the 2X Published Word? (see if they can access \\tsclient\)

11. ghiradelli24

ghiradelli24 Bit poster

They definitely can open their docs once they sign-in to 2X-Word (browse to a shared drive letter containing their files). That isn't an issue for sure.

I guess we're running into webmail attachments (Word, Excel) being the issue as they won't open in 2X (just a blank doc). Because of this, we have the Word Reader as the default to open docs but if they browse directly (shortcut on desktop) to the network share and open a Word doc, it opens in Word Reader of course.

I mean, you know how users are. They aren't going to remember how to always open a Word doc properly (to always start in Word-2X). If they see their files in a folder, they just dbl-click on them to open, hence the Word Reader then opening in read-only mode. The preference is to have 2X-Word open all Word docs, it just won't do it from an attachment, it just open a blank document.

12. jpc

jpc Pro

Could it be that the file location is not accessible at the time of the connection? Out of curiosity, what kind of webmail/browser are the users using?

13. ghiradelli24

ghiradelli24 Bit poster

The file location in that scenario would be the webmail server I guess, right? Webmail is always up, for sure. It is Microsoft Exchange 2010, usually accessed via IE 8-10, sometimes Firefox and Chrome. You think it is on the webmail side? Thanks for the help...

14. jpc

jpc Pro

Since it is a webmail attachment, it will be downloaded on the user's machine so the location is the temporary files location for that particular browser. For IE, this would be somewhere like "\\tsclient\c\users\<username>\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" on Win7.

This article may be of help, although you do not have the exact same issue:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... entslegacy