attach hdd without install?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by WalterR7, May 14, 2021.

1. WalterR7

WalterR7 Member

I have a couple of hdd that I no longer appear to have the pvm for. I know that the hdd are bootable OS-X releases.
    Is there a way to create a new pvm around the hdd without going through the process of installing an OS?
    If I do go through an install process then I know I can then take the resulting pvm and delete the image file HDD and add the existing hdd to it, and in theory the result should be a workable system. But installing MacOS takes a while, and it would be nice to be able to create a pvm without going through that.

2. WalterR7

WalterR7 Member

Ah, it turns out the .hdd are the .hdd built in the past from extracting the install portion from Apple's installation app for the relevant OS. So I probably do not need to keep them around.
    However, that leads to nearly the same question: if you have extracted from an Apple install OS-X .app in the past, getting a .hdd as a result, is there a way to point Parallels File -> New procedure to that hdd if you want to later install another machine with the same OS ? That is, in order to save having to re-extract ?