Attention Dentists: Kodak SoftDent works perfectly on a Mac with Parallels/WinXP

petzl

Bit poster
For the record, I recently installed Kodak SoftDent dental
administration software on a MacBook laptop running
Parallels/WinXP SP3.

Softdent themselves say their software "can't" run on a Mac.

So I had occasion to call up the Softdent support line because
they're all secure about registering since its $200+/month software.

He required me to use "Bomgar" remote administration web applet
that essentially gave them full mouse/keyboard control over the
machine. In short, it was a kind of thing that you would need
full OS compatibility. And, with Parallels Desktop it worked without
a hitch. The helpdesk guy was remotely administering the software
and had no idea he was on a Mac.

I said, Would it surprise you to know, would you be interested
to know, that your software, in fact, does run on a Mac?

He replies "Oh, Softdent can't run on a Mac". Me: "You mean,
it shouldnt? or it cant? huh?" He seemed to mean that from their
support point of view, they just won't even consider Mac-related
problems, so they make no effort at all to ascertain Mac-compatibility.

Well, luckily with this emulation, they didnt have to. Anyway, this
is a win for the good guys. My client gets to use SoftDent on a
Mac, her platform of choice, instead of a PC. (John Hodgeman
grimaces.)
 
Last edited:
Can you say how the tech got it working?

You must have talked to a better tech than I did. The one I talked to wouldn't help until I fixed the network ("this systems IP (10.211...) is obviously not on the same network as the server 192.168...").

I tried installed both from the CD and from the server. When installing from the CD I get the error "Unable to locate the Softdent Software Server machine". When installing from the server, SD installs but I then get 'PWSvr.exe was not located in the "" directory' after I login.

These are the same steps I take when I perform the install for a standard Windows system.

I am using Parallels Desktop 5 with network Preferences set to:
Shared Network
DHCP Server enabled
Port Forwarding 13025 TCP forwarded to IP being assigned to virtual machine

I tried adjusting these setting, but never got any better results than with this. Trying to get a matching network range always gave me no connection.

The server drive letters are mapped and accessible when browsing My Computer

When I browse the network neighborhood, it only shows this computer, nothing else on the network.

If I manually type in the server address (\\servername) it is accessible

Windows firewall turned off

Softdent v14.0
 
I had the same problem ... 'PWSvr.exe was not located in the "" directory'. I'm using SoftDent Version 11.0.X client under Windows XP SP3. Here is what I did to get the client working (finally!).

I made sure that the name and password of the virtual XP account I was using were exactly the same as those on my work desktop machine and on the file server. (this might not be necessary)

After installing the Softdent workstation client run pwclient.exe on the virtual XP machine. You'll find this in C:\WINDOWS\system32\. You can just type it into the Run... dialog box off the start menu, too. Select "OPTIONS" and enter the correct server path. In my case the SoftDent database resides on a network drive mapped to S: so I entered S:\PWSvr\. Change the Timeouts to some number greater than zero. I used 50. Click OK.

After this, things worked fine.

Good luck.
 
what could be the best option to add a new workstation?
I already installed but i got a error message PWSvr.exe was not located in the "" directory'.
Please any idea
thanks
 
Back
Top