Auto-pausing issue with Parallels 12 on macOS Sierra with Windows 10 guest

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RodR2, Feb 18, 2017.

1. RodR2

RodR2 Bit poster

I have two issues that I think may be related.

1. The "Windows 10" process in Mac Activity Monitor shows 20% - 30% CPU usage even when the performance in Windows Task Manager and/or Windows Resource Monitor shows overall system-wide 0% - 2% CPU usage. Note that this is specifically the "Windows 10" process and NOT the "Parallels Desktop" process. This is annoying and unfortunate, but it isn't a deal breaker for me because I have Parallels set to automatically pause Windows when possible, so at least Windows is at 0% when I'm not using it. That leads to issue #2.

2. Sometimes Windows does not auto-pause and will sit there at 20% - 30% CPU usage indefinitely (as in issue #1). I first noticed that it did not auto-pause after a Windows update. Then I tried using a scheduled update for during the night, and the next morning Windows was not paused. I have also seen it fail to auto-pause without doing updates though.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to fix it other than manually pausing Windows?

I'm running on a new 5K iMac with quad-core i5 and 24GB RAM. I have the Windows guest configured to use 4 cores and 8GB RAM. I am running with the Parallels hypervisor in adaptive hypervisor mode, with "Tune Windows for speed" enabled, "Pause Windows when possible" enabled, "Faster Mac" performance selected, and "Better performance" selected for power.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017